Frequency of wave on a string

In summary, the linear density of a wave is 0.096 and the amplitude is 7.7e-3. The angular frequency is 197.67 Hz and the height of the wave is 1242 rad/s.
kel
Hi

I have a question that I'm not sure how to answer, it goes like this:

A string along which waves can travel in 2.7m long and has a mass of 260g. The tension is 36N. What must the frequency of a traveling wave of amplitude 7.70mm be if the average power transmitted is 85W?

I was going to use the average power question and worked out that the linear density would be 0.96 (or 9.6e-3), but I'm not sure how to go about finding the angular frequency or height of the wave (e.g. y) with the info given in the question or am I going about this in completely the wrong fashion?

Also, where is the equation editor in this forum? I was going to write out the Power equ' but it would look fairly untidy in normal text.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized the height (y) is the amplitude squared - which I work out to be:

7.7mm = 7.7e-3 m, so that squared should be 5.929e-5, I think.

If this is correct then I just need the velocity and angular wavelength.

ok, slight update. I have now worked out that the linear density is in fact 0.096 and the amplitude is 7.7e-3

Could anyone tell me how I get the velocity from this? I mean the speed of the wave v
(p=1/2*linear density*v*w^2*y^2)
Thanks

Last edited:
The velocity on a wave can be obtained using the equation;

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/tex]

This can be derrived from the wave equation

~H

Thanks,
I just realized that I can use the root of tension/linear density.

and got a value of 19.36, does that sound about right?

Aha !

How does this sound?

w^2= 85/0.5*(0.096)*19.36*(7.7e-3)^2
w^2= 1542733.411
w = root of the above = 1242 rad/s
f = w/2pi = 197.67 Hz

kel said:
and got a value of 19.36, does that sound about right?

I would agree with that.

~H

HOOOOORRRAYYYY!

Hey are you any good with wave interference? My lecturer has been crafty and given us a question where I have 2 waves which interfere, but the only equation given is that of the resultant wave and I don't know how to resolve them back into their component waves.

I know it's along the lines of vector algebra, but I'm clueless on this one I'm afraid.

kel said:
Aha !

How does this sound?

w^2= 85/0.5*(0.096)*19.36*(7.7e-3)^2
w^2= 1542733.411
w = root of the above = 1242 rad/s
f = w/2pi = 197.67 Hz

I would also agree with that. Well done, you solved it without any help from me, I feel reducntant now :tongue2: . By the way, to insert mathematical equations see this thread; https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 . Also, if you click on any formulae in these forums a pop up will present the code used to produce the equation.

~H

kel said:
HOOOOORRRAYYYY!

Hey are you any good with wave interference? My lecturer has been crafty and given us a question where I have 2 waves which interfere, but the only equation given is that of the resultant wave and I don't know how to resolve them back into their component waves.

I know it's along the lines of vector algebra, but I'm clueless on this one I'm afraid.

If you post your question I guarantee someone on PF will be able to answer it :biggrin:

~H

Cheers! I'm sure I owe u a few beers by now tho!

kel said:
Cheers! I'm sure I owe u a few beers by now tho!

Not a problem my friend :smile: . Damn, this virtual beer sure does taste good :cool:

~H

1. What is the frequency of a wave on a string?

The frequency of a wave on a string refers to the number of complete cycles the wave makes in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a wave on a string determined?

The frequency of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and mass per unit length of the string, as well as the length of the string. It can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2L√(T/μ), where L is the length of the string, T is the tension, and μ is the mass per unit length.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a wave on a string?

The frequency of a wave on a string is affected by the tension and mass per unit length of the string, as well as the length of the string. It can also be affected by the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as air or water.

4. How does the frequency of a wave on a string relate to its wavelength?

The frequency of a wave on a string is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the frequency of a wave on a string be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a wave on a string can be changed by altering the tension, mass per unit length, or length of the string. It can also be changed by changing the medium through which the wave is traveling.