Crossing a River: Boat Direction and Time Calculations

• Thread starter nealh149
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary: The correct solution is 27.6 degrees. Sorry!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a river with a uniform flow speed of 1.1 m/s and a powerboat that can move at a constant speed of 4 m/s. The problem asks for the direction the boat must be pointed to cross the river in a straight line and how long it will take for the boat to cross the river. The solution involves finding the displacement vector from the starting point to the landing point and using the components of the boat's velocity to determine the heading. The correct solution is 27.6 degrees.
nealh149
A 200-m-wide river has a uniform flow speed of 1.1 m/s through a jungle and towards the east. An expoere wishes to leave a small clearing on the south band and cross the river in a powerboat that moves at a constant speed of 4 m/s with respect to the water. There is a clearing on the north band 82 m upstream from a point directly opposite the clearing on the south bank. (a) In what direction must the boat be pointed to travel in a straight line and land in the clearing. (b) How long will the boat take to cross the river?

I've done tons of things to try to solve this from pathagreon theorem to sines and cosines and I cannot solve this for the life of me. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
nealh149 said:
A 200-m-wide river has a uniform flow speed of 1.1 m/s through a jungle and towards the east. An expoere wishes to leave a small clearing on the south band and cross the river in a powerboat that moves at a constant speed of 4 m/s with respect to the water. There is a clearing on the north band 82 m upstream from a point directly opposite the clearing on the south bank. (a) In what direction must the boat be pointed to travel in a straight line and land in the clearing. (b) How long will the boat take to cross the river?

I've done tons of things to try to solve this from pathagreon theorem to sines and cosines and I cannot solve this for the life of me. Please help.
First, figure out the time it would take to cross the river if it was not flowing. Next, consider how far downstream the river would carry the boat in that time. Aim the boat accordingly. (Hint: remember to break the question up into its x- and y-components.)

I suggest the first step is to find the displacement vector from the starting point to the landing point. The direction of this displacement is the desired direction of the velocity of the boat relative to the ground. You don't have to solve for the angle, but you need the ratio of the components parallel and perpendicular to the current. The velocity relative to the ground is the sum of the river velocity plus the velocity of the boat relative to the river. The components of the boat velocity can be written in terms of the unknown heading of the boat (the speed is given). The components of the resultant velocity can then be written in terms of the heading, and their ratio set equal to the ratio of the displacement components. This will give a solution for the heading, and then the net velocity components can be determined.

Can anyone check my answer to this question:

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/9/9/30/f_Untitledm_7fad941.jpg

that's mine solution and here's the book solution

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/9/9/30/f_booksolutiom_ce52c18.jpg

they give 37 degree..for the answer

oops, I forgot what upstream means, and messed it with downstream

1. What is the "Explorer Crossing River" problem?

The "Explorer Crossing River" problem is a classic puzzle that involves a group of explorers who need to cross a river with limited resources and restrictions.

2. How does the problem typically go?

The problem usually goes like this: a group of explorers, with different abilities and limitations, need to cross a river with only one boat and a limited amount of resources. The goal is to get all the explorers to the other side of the river without any of them being left behind or stranded.

3. What are the main challenges in solving this problem?

The main challenges in solving this problem include figuring out the most efficient way to use the limited resources, ensuring that all the explorers reach the other side safely, and taking into account any restrictions or limitations of the explorers and the boat.

4. Are there different variations of the "Explorer Crossing River" problem?

Yes, there are many variations of this problem, each with its own set of rules and constraints. Some variations may involve different numbers of explorers or resources, while others may have different types of restrictions or challenges.

5. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved using various strategies and algorithms, such as backtracking, depth-first search, and breadth-first search. It can also be approached using mathematical or logical reasoning, or by breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts.