What type of filter should I use to fix my microwave filter problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a bandpass filter at 3.2 GHz. The speaker has tried different types of filters, including an interdigital, pipecap cavity, and microstrip, but has encountered issues with all of them. The microstrip filter cannot be tuned and the other types exhibit garbage responses from 6 to 20 GHz. The speaker is now looking for alternative designs, such as a mechanically tuned filter or matching impedance, for their homebrew project. They also mention using a cavity filter and a low-pass filter, but are still struggling with impedance matching. They discuss using a sweep oscillator and diode detector for tuning and also consider using a diode to improve filter response.
waht
I'm working on a bandpass filter at 3.2 GHz. I built a few prototypes interdigital, pipecap cavity, and even microstrip.

Microstrip filter sort of works but it can't be tuned, so I abandoned it.

The other types also work, bandwidth and insertion loss is ok but they all exhibit garbage responses from 6 to 20 GHz, with some peaks having similar insertion than the fundemental.

So I'm looking for a way to either build a new type of filter, (mechanically tuned) or match impedance or something. This is pretty much a homebrew design.

Appreciate any info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How did you do the cavity type filter? If you are building it how I think you are then the odd harmonics of the fundamental will have a significant response. In any case you will probably have to do multiple stages such as a low-pass after the first bandpass. Some interesting things can be achieved using transmission line stubs

I'm no expert at these frequencies (yet), but it sure seems like the microstrip could be tuned. What properties of the microstrip determine its filter characteristics? If it's a homebrew circuit and tuning, can't you do a little shaving of the copper to tune it? What are you using in the tuning process (do you have access to a network analyzer?)?

Cavity filter is basically a 1.5" copper pipe cap soldered to a FR4 pc board, with two SMA UT141 jumpers inserted into the cavity making a capacitive coupling by 1/8" probes extending from the jumpers. The cavity is tuned with a screw.

This is a common design popular among hams. Like this one

http://www.czd.org.uk/astro/radioastro/filter/index.html

I found that it works beautifully at the frequency of interest, but as you go up a couple of octaves in frequency, really bad things start to happen. Spikes up and down, as if it was acting like a high pass filter.

Same thing with my homebrew 5 element interdigital filter, that is enclosed in metal box, works great at the my frequency, but higher it looks so ugly.

Microstip filter that I did, I was close to my frequency, but to my surprise no other response was detected through 20 gigs. But I found even if you are millimeter off, it deteriorates and I am unable to optimize it. It's very difficult to tune it, even by taking bits of the trace. I think microstrips are good when designed by an em cad.

For tuning I just use a sweep oscillator and a diode detector, crude approach, but it's a homebrew so I don't complain.

I think a simple solution would be to add a low pass filter, but it's just as difficult, I think it has to do with band impedance matching, I don't know how to intergrate a stub or something.

thanks

waht said:
Cavity filter is basically a 1.5" copper pipe cap soldered to a FR4 pc board, with two SMA UT141 jumpers inserted into the cavity making a capacitive coupling by 1/8" probes extending from the jumpers. The cavity is tuned with a screw.

This is a common design popular among hams. Like this one

http://www.czd.org.uk/astro/radioastro/filter/index.html

I found that it works beautifully at the frequency of interest, but as you go up a couple of octaves in frequency, really bad things start to happen.

Good stuff, waht. But you won't find a physical filter that works over several ocatves, unless you use the voltage dependent capacitance of a reverse biased diode. Have you tried adding that to your physical GHz filters?

Intersting point, I've never seen a diode used to aid the response of filters. I found out, that a transmission line on FR4 works as a good low pass filter throught 6 or 7 GHz. So I think I will go with that.

But the root of the problem is bad impedance match I guess.

1. What is a microwave filter problem?

A microwave filter problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs with a microwave filter, which is a device used to remove unwanted signals or frequencies from a microwave signal. A filter problem can result in distorted or ineffective communication signals.

2. How do microwave filters work?

Microwave filters work by allowing certain frequencies to pass through while blocking or attenuating others. They use a combination of capacitors, inductors, and resistors to create a specific frequency response, which can be designed for different applications such as communications, radar, or medical imaging.

3. What are the common causes of microwave filter problems?

The most common causes of microwave filter problems include component failure, improper installation, and environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and electromagnetic interference. In some cases, design flaws or manufacturing defects can also contribute to filter problems.

4. How can microwave filter problems be diagnosed?

Microwave filter problems can be diagnosed through various methods, including visual inspection, electrical testing, and simulation. Visual inspection involves checking for physical damage or signs of wear and tear. Electrical testing involves measuring the filter's performance using specialized equipment. Simulation involves using software to model the filter's behavior and identify potential issues.

5. Can microwave filter problems be repaired?

In most cases, microwave filter problems can be repaired. The specific repair process will depend on the cause of the problem and the type of filter. Some common repair methods include replacing faulty components, re-tuning the filter, or adjusting the filter's settings. In some cases, the entire filter may need to be replaced if the damage is extensive or irreparable.