Length of a spring under its own weight

In summary, the final length of the spring is equal to the length of the unstretched spring plus the distance between the mass at the bottom of the spring and the top, multiplied by 2.
gabee

Homework Statement

I was thinking over lunch today about this old problem from intro physics but I can't remember whether or not this is the correct solution.

What is the final length L of a spring of mass M and spring constant k, initially of length L0 after it is left to hang under its own weight?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Divide the unstretched spring into infinitesimal segments dl. Each of these segments will stretch an infinitesimal distance dx under the weight of an infinitesimal mass dm by the relation g dm = k dx. Let [tex]\lambda[/tex] be the linear density of the spring, so that [tex]dm = \lambda \,dl[/tex]. Then,

[tex]g \lambda \,dl = k \,dx[/tex], and
[tex]dx = \frac{g}{k}\lambda dl[/tex].

Integrating LHS from 0 to X and RHS from 0 to L0, we find that [tex]X = \frac{g}{k}\lambda L_0[/tex], so the final length of the spring is L = L0 + X or

[tex]L = L_0(1 + \frac{g}{k}\lambda) = \frac{g}{k}M + L_0[/tex].

Is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no student of the calculus, but your solution is identical to the case where the spring is massless and its weight is concentrated at the far end. That doesn't sound right. I believe your extension X should be 1/2 of your calculated value, i.e. X =Mg/2k. Comments welcome.

The com is at L/2, but only half of the spring is effectively pulling that mass up, so 2kx=mg, which gives you x=mg/2k.

Yeah, now that I think about it, that should be completely wrong, since the segments at the top are under greater load than the ones at the bottom. I'll think about it again in a bit.

gabee said:

Homework Statement

I was thinking over lunch today about this old problem from intro physics but I can't remember whether or not this is the correct solution.

What is the final length L of a spring of mass M and spring constant k, initially of length L0 after it is left to hang under its own weight?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Divide the unstretched spring into infinitesimal segments dl. Each of these segments will stretch an infinitesimal distance dx under the weight of an infinitesimal mass dm by the relation g dm = k dx. Let [tex]\lambda[/tex] be the linear density of the spring, so that [tex]dm = \lambda \,dl[/tex]. Then,

[tex]g \lambda \,dl = k \,dx[/tex], and
[tex]dx = \frac{g}{k}\lambda dl[/tex].

Integrating LHS from 0 to X and RHS from 0 to L0, we find that [tex]X = \frac{g}{k}\lambda L_0[/tex], so the final length of the spring is L = L0 + X or

[tex]L = L_0(1 + \frac{g}{k}\lambda) = \frac{g}{k}M + L_0[/tex].

Is that right?

I think youre forgetting that each element has more than just dm*g acting on it (the masses of the elements below it are acting on each element too).

Right, that's what I mean. Okay, so including the fact that ALL the masses below a certain point contribute to the stretching of the segment at that point, we have

[tex]k \,dx = \bigg( \frac{l}{L_0} \bigg) g \, dm[/tex]

[tex]dx = \frac{gl}{L_0 k} \frac{M}{L_0} \, dl[/tex]

[tex]dx = \frac{Mgl}{{L_0}^2 k} \, dl[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{Mg}{{L_0}^2 k} \int_0^{L_0} l \, dl[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{Mg}{{L_0}^2 k} \frac{{L_0}^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{Mg}{2k}[/tex]

Ahh, thanks guys :smile:

Last edited:

1. How does the length of a spring change under its own weight?

The length of a spring will increase when its own weight is added to it. This is due to the force of gravity pulling down on the spring, causing it to stretch.

2. What factors can affect the length of a spring under its own weight?

The length of a spring under its own weight can be affected by the material, thickness, and diameter of the spring, as well as the strength of gravity and the amount of weight placed on the spring.

3. Does the length of a spring under its own weight follow a specific mathematical relationship?

Yes, the length of a spring under its own weight follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched.

4. Can the length of a spring under its own weight be measured accurately?

Yes, the length of a spring under its own weight can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. It is important to measure from the point of attachment to the point where the weight is added, as this is where the spring will stretch the most.

5. How can the length of a spring under its own weight be used in practical applications?

The length of a spring under its own weight can be used in various applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, measuring weight on a scale, and creating shock absorbers for machinery. Understanding the relationship between weight and length of a spring is crucial in engineering and design.