Why are there glow in the dark kittens?

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glow
In summary, scientists in Korea have successfully cloned kittens from skin cells, which may have scientific value. However, their main purpose may be as a potential energy source, as their glow-in-the-dark gene could be harnessed for free energy. Some find the idea of glow-in-the-dark cats creepy, while others see it as a festive addition to Christmas decorations. The genetically engineered mice that no longer fear cats have also been a successful experiment in Japan. Overall, these developments showcase the potential for genetic engineering in the animal world.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well, the Koreans have done it again. Cloning a bunch of kittens from mom's skin cells certainly has some scientific value, but http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071212/ts_afp/healthscienceskoreacloning" [Broken] kittens? Why?

To make it easy to find them in the dark? Not too useful since everyone knows the best way to find a cat at night is with a laser pointer. Perhaps they were looking for another energy source! If they could just limit the expression of the glow gene on the tip of the tail, the cat would endlessly chase its tail at night. Think of harnessing the power of a herd of these chimera... free energy for life!

Attachments

• glowcats.jpg
    glowcats.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They should have used a reindeer.

Just in time for Christmas!

They're not glow in the dark. They've just been forced to swallow candles.

I saw a picture of one glowing green the other day. It didn't escape my notice either that the red and green glowing kittens were publicized in time for Christmas either.

I'm going to have to get working on my green sheep now. :biggrin:

Hmmmm.. kitten luminarias. Festive! If they come in both green and red, well... that's Christmas! (isn't it?)

I want one!

Hmmm personally I find glow in the dark kittens kind of creepy. I would never get any sleep if my cat glowed...as he seems to like sleeping on the pillow beside me.

scorpa said:
I would never get any sleep if my cat glowed...as he seems to like sleeping on the pillow beside me.

You don't let these sleep on your pillow, you hang them in the Christmas tree.

out of whack said:
You don't let these sleep on your pillow, you hang them in the Christmas tree.

:rofl: Poor little kitties!

Maybe they want to see their lunch when eating in the dark?

Sorry.:redface:

So with glow-in-the-dark cats, and mice that don't fear cats...

...In experiments with cats belonging to students, the genetically engineered rodents simply carried on as usual, sniffing and playing with their nemesis as if nature had intended them to be best friends.

"Mice fear cats because they are innately conditioned to fear when sensing the odour of the predators. So by getting rid of the specific receptors for sensing the odour, mice never feel afraid of cats," Kobayakawa told Reuters. [continued]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,2226236,00.html

who wins?

Answer: Dogs

Wow! That is one cool cat. Shes so placid and gorgeous.

dst said:
Maybe they want to see their lunch when eating in the dark?

Do GFP cats only eat GFP mice? :uhh:

You don't use them for Christmas, they're intended for Halloween.

The new hot accessory for raves.

1. How do glow in the dark kittens glow?

Glow in the dark kittens have been genetically modified to contain a fluorescent protein called GFP (green fluorescent protein) which is found in certain species of jellyfish. This protein absorbs and emits light, causing the kittens to glow in the dark.

2. Is it safe for kittens to glow in the dark?

Yes, the process of creating glow in the dark kittens involves inserting the GFP gene into the kitten's DNA, which does not harm them in any way. The kittens are also able to live normal and healthy lives just like any other kitten.

3. Can the glow in the dark trait be passed down to the kittens' offspring?

Yes, if the glow in the dark kitten is bred with another cat that also carries the GFP gene, there is a high chance that their kittens will also glow in the dark. However, breeding genetically modified animals is highly regulated and monitored to prevent any potential negative effects on the animals.

4. How long do glow in the dark kittens glow for?

The glow in the dark trait typically lasts for the lifetime of the kitten. However, the intensity of the glow may decrease over time as the kitten grows and the GFP protein is replaced by new cells. In some cases, the glow may also be affected by external factors such as diet and environment.

5. What are the potential uses of glow in the dark kittens?

Currently, the creation of glow in the dark kittens is mainly for scientific research purposes to study genetic modification and potential medical applications. However, in the future, it is possible that glow in the dark kittens could be used for entertainment purposes or as a way to easily locate and identify lost or missing cats.

Back