How do you cite a conference presentation on your resume?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to properly cite being listed as third author on a conference presentation on a resume. The suggested method is to cite it as an abstract with the conference title and location, and the abstract number instead of a page number. This is similar to citing a published article, but with slight variations.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have been researching with a professor for the past semester and he recently told me that I will be listed as third author on a conference presentation he will be making this summer.

I'd like to cite this on my resume, but I do not know how to cite it correctly, if there even is a correct way. Should it be separate from publications (he also plans on publishing the work in a journal eventually)? Should it be included with publications, but cited as a conference presentation? How do most people usually cite these things?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cite the abstract the way you would cite a published article, except instead of the name of a journal you list the conference title and location, and the abstract number instead of a page number (unless there's a published abstract book, in which case use the format the abstract book says is the correct citation).

Thanks MB!

1. How do I format a conference presentation citation on my resume?

The format for citing a conference presentation on your resume varies depending on the citation style guide you are using. However, in general, the citation should include the presenter's name, presentation title, conference name, date, and location. It is important to be consistent with the citation style throughout your resume.

2. What information should I include when citing a conference presentation on my resume?

When citing a conference presentation on your resume, you should include the presenter's name, presentation title, conference name, date, and location. You may also include a link to the presentation or any relevant materials, such as an abstract or handout, if applicable.

3. Do I need to include the names of all co-presenters in the citation?

If there are multiple presenters for the conference presentation, it is up to your discretion whether or not to include their names in the citation on your resume. If you played a significant role in the presentation, it is recommended to include your name and the names of the other presenters. Otherwise, you may just include the name of the primary presenter.

4. Can I use any citation style for my conference presentation on my resume?

It is important to follow the citation style guide required by your field or employer when citing a conference presentation on your resume. Common citation styles used in academic and professional settings include APA, MLA, and Chicago style. Make sure to use the same style throughout your resume for consistency.

5. Do I need to include the DOI or URL for the conference presentation?

If the conference presentation has a DOI (digital object identifier) or a URL, it is recommended to include it in the citation on your resume. This will make it easier for potential employers or colleagues to access the presentation and learn more about your work. However, if the presentation does not have a DOI or URL, it is not necessary to include one in the citation.