Vector addition in cylindrical coordinates

In summary: I spent some time on this and conclude vector in curvilinear coordinates cannot be added unless they both belong to the same curvilinear coordinates( origin at the same point.) In my example, the two position vector will translate into two separate curvilinear coordinates by ordinary transformation which cannot be added in the simple manner.
yungman
My question is about vector addition in cylindrical coordinates:
Let A = 2x + y, B = x + 2y. In rectangular coordinates, AB = B-A = -x+y

In cylindrical coordinates, x=rcosθ + θsinθ, y=rsinθ + θcosθ
A =Axx + Ayy, B =Bxx + Byy

Ar = Ax(x.r) + Bx(y.r)=2.236, Aθ = 0. So A = 2.236r
Br = 2.236, Bθ = 0. So B = 2.236r

How do you do vector addition in cylindrical coordinates? A + B = 2.236r +2.236r !

Attached is the hand written file for clearer description.

I don't know how to add the two vectors totally in cylindrical coordinates because the angle information is not apparant. Please tell me what am I doing wrong.
Thanks

Attachments

• Vector addition.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always convert to cartesian coords, add, then convert back again

For one thing, you can't just add [tex]A_r + B_r = 2\sqrt{5}[/tex]. Drawing the diagram for the parallelogram law of vector addition in rectangular basis vectors already shows that the length of the resulting vector is less than the sum of the length of the 2 vectors which are added together (unless we're considering identical vectors). You can picture how this may be done geometrically in the parallelogram addition picture, but it appears to be tedious and unnecessary.

Firstly find the angle between A and the x-axis, as well as B and the x axis. One of this vectors, so to speak, would be leaning "closer" to the x-axis. You can then draw the "triangle law picture" of vector addition and find the length of the resulting vector by using cosine rule. That gives you the value of [tex]C_r[/tex] where C is the resulting vector. Then you can use sine rule to find the angle between the resulting vector and the x-axis to give you [tex]C_{\theta}[/tex].

But all this is really unnecessary is it not?

Defennder said:
For one thing, you can't just add [tex]A_r + B_r = 2\sqrt{5}[/tex]. Drawing the diagram for the parallelogram law of vector addition in rectangular basis vectors already shows that the length of the resulting vector is less than the sum of the length of the 2 vectors which are added together (unless we're considering identical vectors). You can picture how this may be done geometrically in the parallelogram addition picture, but it appears to be tedious and unnecessary.

Firstly find the angle between A and the x-axis, as well as B and the x axis. One of this vectors, so to speak, would be leaning "closer" to the x-axis. You can then draw the "triangle law picture" of vector addition and find the length of the resulting vector by using cosine rule. That gives you the value of [tex]C_r[/tex] where C is the resulting vector. Then you can use sine rule to find the angle between the resulting vector and the x-axis to give you [tex]C_{\theta}[/tex].

But all this is really unnecessary is it not?

Thanks for the reply. I spent some time on this and conclude vector in curvilinear coordinates cannot be added unless they both belong to the same curvilinear coordinates( origin at the same point.) In my example, the two position vector will translate into two separate curvilinear coordinates by ordinary transformation which cannot be added in the simple manner.

I am learning about math and I am no where good at it. I don't dare to make any conclusion until I run it by you guys, you people are the expert.

If anyone have any comments on what I said, please let me know, I am a self study and I really not sure I understand things correctly.

Thanks

What is vector addition in cylindrical coordinates?

Vector addition in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more vectors in a three-dimensional space. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each vector to determine the resultant vector.

How is vector addition performed in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, vector addition is performed by first converting the vectors into their component form and then adding the corresponding components together. The resultant vector is then converted back into cylindrical coordinates, using the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates for vector addition?

Cylindrical coordinates can simplify vector addition problems that involve cylindrical symmetry, making them easier to solve. This coordinate system also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the direction and magnitude of the resultant vector.

Can vector addition be performed in other coordinate systems?

Yes, vector addition can be performed in various coordinate systems such as Cartesian, polar, and spherical coordinates. The method for performing vector addition may differ slightly depending on the coordinate system used.

Are there any limitations to using cylindrical coordinates for vector addition?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates may not be the most suitable coordinate system for all vector addition problems. It may not be ideal for situations where there is no cylindrical symmetry or when the vectors involved have components in all three dimensions.