Centripital Acceleration/G-Force question

• Thread starter Schmidget
  • Start date
In summary, the plane is in a dive and at the bottom of the dive, the pilot experiences a maximum acceleration of 7.5 times the acceleration due to gravity. This can be approximated by a circular path. The force felt by the pilot is equal to her mass multiplied by the total acceleration, which is 8.5 times the acceleration due to gravity.
Schmidget

Homework Statement

A plane is in a dive. At the bottom of the dive is the maximum acceleration on the pilot. This part of the dive can be approximated by a circular path. If the centripetal acceleration on the pilot is 7.50 times g (=9.81 m/s2), what is the force felt by the pilot if her mass is 49.0 kg.

Homework Equations

Is it this simple?

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (49kg)*(7.5*9.8m/s^2) = 3601.5N

According to the online answer checker, it's not correct. I guess I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inside the plane the pilot will experience centrifugal acceleration which is opposite to the centripetal acceleration. So the total acceleration on the pilot will be 7.5g + g.

Of course! Now I feel kinda stupid. At one point in my thinking, I remember contemplating that, but for some reason it got lost. Oh well; you win some, you lose some.

Thanks for your help.

rl.bhat said:
Inside the plane the pilot will experience centrifugal acceleration which is opposite to the centripetal acceleration. So the total acceleration on the pilot will be 7.5g + g.

BS:mad:
(Although as Einstein noted, the acceleration of a free object
relative to the cockpit would indeed be 8.5g)

Amelia Ehrhart's acceleration is 7.5g upwards.
Gravity exerts a force mg downwards.
Applying Newton's second Law, the force exerted on
her backside is mg + 7.5mg straight up.

Last edited:

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. It acts towards the center of the circle and is caused by a force called centripetal force.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is G-force?

G-force is a measure of the force that an object experiences due to acceleration. It is often measured in multiples of Earth's gravitational force, with 1 g being equal to the force of Earth's gravity on an object at rest.

4. How is G-force related to centripetal acceleration?

G-force and centripetal acceleration are directly related. As the velocity of an object in a circular path increases, the centripetal acceleration and the G-force also increase. This is because the centripetal force needed to keep the object in a circular path increases with speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration and G-force?

Some common examples of centripetal acceleration and G-force include the rotation of a carousel, the spin of a rollercoaster, and the orbit of planets around the sun. In everyday life, we also experience G-force when riding in a car or on a plane, as our bodies are pushed back against the seat due to the acceleration of the vehicle.