Find length of curve. Integral of sec?

In summary, the problem asks to find the length of the curve y=ln(cosx) from 0 to pi/3 using the integral of (1+(y')^2)^1/2. The solution involves finding y' and then using the formula for arc length to evaluate the integral. The process can be challenging, but if the steps are followed correctly, the final result can be obtained.
phantomcow2

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve y=ln(cosx) from 0 to pi/3

Homework Equations

integral of (1+(y')^2)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, find y'. y' is equal to -sin/cos, or simply -tan(x).

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+(-tan(x)^{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{sec(x}[/tex]

Homework Statement

Can this possibly be right so far? This is a horrendous integral. I've expended so much energy on this problem, but if someone can at least validate that I am on the right track, I'll post my work from here out.

Physics news on Phys.org
phantomcow2 said:
[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{1+(-tan(x)^{2}}[/tex]
= [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\sqrt{sec(x}[/tex]

[tex]1+tan^2x=sec^2x \Rightarrow \sqrt{1+tan^2x}= \sqrt{sec^2x}=secx[/tex]

:redface::cry:

Thank you so much.

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a curve?

The formula for finding the length of a curve is L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function describing the curve.

2. How do you find the integral of sec?

To find the integral of sec, you can use the substitution method. Let u = sec(x) and du = sec(x)tan(x) dx. Then, the integral of sec(x) dx becomes the integral of u du, which can be easily solved to be ln|sec(x) + tan(x)| + C.

3. Can you explain the concept of arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve between two points. It is calculated by finding the integral of the square root of the sum of the squares of the first derivatives of the curve, with respect to the independent variable.

4. How is the length of a curve related to the integral of sec?

The length of a curve can be found by taking the integral of sec(x) with respect to x, as mentioned in the first question. The integral of sec(x) represents the arc length of the curve.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the length of a curve?

Yes, there is another method called the Simpson's rule which can also be used to find the length of a curve. It involves dividing the curve into small sections and approximating the length of each section with a quadratic polynomial. The sum of these lengths gives an estimate of the total length of the curve.