Statics Homework help - find tension

In summary, the forces on the cables are 5200N and they need to provide equilibrium. The y and z components of the 5200N force are found and the horizontal and vertical components of the 5200N force are found. The horizontal and vertical components of the 5200N force are then multiplied by 12m and divided by 6m to find the forces on the cables. The final equation is F(y) - BC(y) = Horizontal component of BE.
brvfan20
Statics Homework help -- find tension

1. In Figure P4.111 determine the tensions in cables BC and BE. Neglect the weights of all members and assume that the support at A is a ball-and-socket joint. The 5200-N force has no x component.
(picture is attached below)2. [tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fx = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fy = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fz = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] MD = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I figured out the angles of the cables and did the sum of the forces.
I had trouble figuring out the sum of the moments.
Here is what I have so far:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fx = 0 --> Ax + T1*cos(26.6) = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fy = 0 --> Ay + T1*sin(26.6) + T2*cos(18.4) + 5200*cos(22.6)= 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] Fz = 0 --> Az + T2*sin(18.4) + 5200*sin(22.6) = 0

T1 is the cable from B to E
T2 is the cable from B to C

Anything you guys can do to help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• staticsprob.jpeg
    staticsprob.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 587
Physics news on Phys.org

It's much easier to do this geometrically:
Step 1 - Find the y and z components of the 5200N force.
Step 2 - Multiply these by 12m (to get the torque) and divide by 6 m to find the respective forces that the cables need to provide equilibrium.
Step 3 - now you have four vectors: BE, BC, F(z), F(y).
Step 4 - Only BC can handle the vertical force (F(z)), so you know that the vertical component of BC = F(z).
Step 5 - Find the horizontal component of F(z).
Step 6 - Now you have your final equation, namely: F(y) - BC(y) = Horizontal component of BE.
Step 7 - Use Pythagoras' Theorem or Trig to find BC and BE
Step 8 - Be happy.

Peace out!

Is there another way to do this?

because my professor wanted us to use the sum of forces/moments.

Hey so I figured out the majority of the problem.
Im just having trouble breaking the three forces into their components. (mostly with the angle)
Can someone please tell me if this is correct.

T1 = BE = T1cos(26.6)[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + T2sin(26.6)[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

T2 = BC = T2cos(18.4)[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] + T2sin(18.4)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

F = 5200cos(22.6)[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] + 5200sin(22.6)[tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

pleeeease help. thanks!

I'm too lazy to check all of your angles, but it looks reasonable. Just double check your SohCahToa and you should be fine.

What is tension in statics?

Tension is a force that exists within an object when it is pulled or stretched. In statics, tension is an internal force that occurs within a structure, such as a rope or cable, when it is being acted upon by an external force. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lb).

How do I find tension in a statics problem?

To find tension in a statics problem, you will need to use the principles of equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces acting on a body must be equal to zero. In order to find tension, you will need to analyze the forces acting on the object and use equations such as Newton's second law or the sum of moments to solve for the unknown tension.

Can tension ever be negative in statics?

No, tension cannot be negative in statics. This is because tension is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In statics, tension is always considered to be a positive force, as it is a force that is pulling or stretching an object. If the tension is acting in the opposite direction, it is simply considered to be a negative value in the calculations.

What factors affect tension in statics?

The main factors that affect tension in statics are the magnitude and direction of the external forces acting on the object, as well as the geometry and material properties of the object itself. For example, a longer and thinner rope will experience a greater tension than a shorter and thicker rope when subjected to the same external forces.

Are there any common mistakes when finding tension in statics problems?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when finding tension in statics problems. These include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not using the correct equations or not properly considering the direction of tension. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.