Understanding the Physical Significance of Polar Moment of Inertia

In summary, the polar moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to torsion, similar to how moment of inertia measures resistance to bending. However, there is often confusion and misuse of the term, with some mistakenly using it to refer to mass moment of inertia. It is important to use the correct terminology and to clarify the context when discussing these concepts.
R Power
Hi guys
Can anyone explain what is physical significance polar moment of inertia. Well i know it's formula e.g in case of shafts but not it's physical meaning.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is the angular analogy to moment of inertia in that it describes a section's resistance to torsion. In the linear world, the MOI is the resistance to bending.

To further clarify on what Fred mentioned, especially because you mentioned shafts. Polar moment of inertia is NOT the same thing as mass moment of inertia.

Often (and I mean daily) I hear people here asking for polar moment of inertia, when they actually want a mass moment of inertia about an objects axis.

Make sure to always check your units. Area moment (which resists bending) and polar moment (which resists torsion) are in units of length^4.

Another problem, solved by Google:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=define:+polar+moment+of+inertia&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

Google Search said:

Mech_Engineer said:
Another problem, solved by Google:

Polar moment of inertia is a quantity used to predict an object's ability to resist torsion... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_moment_of_inertia

A measure of a body's resistance to twisting; a measure of torsional strength. en.wiktionary.org/wiki/polar_moment_of_inertia

The resistance of an object to rotational acceleration. http://www.caranddriver.com/informat...ssary_of_terms

There is where the problem lies. #1 and 2 do not agree with #3. Using #3 is very confusing and has been phased out in newer nomenclature. The proper term for an objects ability to resist angular acceleration is Mass moment of inertia, not polar moment of inertia.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a computer program, it's can't differentiate between older and newer uses of the terminology. Sure it might give you multiple answers, but a 2-second search would have gotten him in the ballpark.

As with some engineering terminology, it may be contextually-based and require some knowledge of how the term was used in the sentence. For example, "Moment of Inertia" is used interchangeably in many places in structural analysis and dynamics. While it may be technically inaccurate in some usages, if you know something about the question being posed you can decide which one you're after.

Notice this discalimer at the top of a Wikipedia page:
Wikipedia Second Moment of Area page said:
This article is about the moment of inertia as related to the bending of a plane. For the moment of inertia dealing with rotation of an object, see Moment of inertia.

"In the ballpark" has burned me more than once. I don't like assuming people know what they're talking about it. It has happened more than once where people have asked me for the polar moment of inertia of a shaft (for example). When I ask about what plane, they get confused.

While it may be OK to erroneously use certain terms in certain displicines, I think one should first learn the proper way describe things. So, while a 5-second Google search could have gotten him "in the ballpark", he also could have found the correct link, a link to Second Moment of Area, which is also "moment of inertia", and a link to Moment of inertia, which is close to polar moment of inertia, and a link to a Car and Driver page which incorrectly gives the term.

In five years, I might work with this fellow, and I'd be pretty peeved if he incorrectly gave me J instead of I, etc etc.

minger said:
"In the ballpark" has burned me more than once. I don't like assuming people know what they're talking about it. It has happened more than once where people have asked me for the polar moment of inertia of a shaft (for example). When I ask about what plane, they get confused.

While it may be OK to erroneously use certain terms in certain displicines, I think one should first learn the proper way describe things. So, while a 5-second Google search could have gotten him "in the ballpark", he also could have found the correct link, a link to Second Moment of Area, which is also "moment of inertia", and a link to Moment of inertia, which is close to polar moment of inertia, and a link to a Car and Driver page which incorrectly gives the term.

In five years, I might work with this fellow, and I'd be pretty peeved if he incorrectly gave me J instead of I, etc etc.

It's obvious that you feel strongly about this subject, and I'm not trying to argue with you about the proper use of the term. As I said before, context is more important than the name, because LOTS of people use different/old terminology to describe values such as this (it also occurs across language barriers).

I run into this problem all the time in my daily work; rather than argue about the proper use of the term, I define and contextualize what I'm specifically talking about. Some battles just aren't worth fighting if you're going to burn bridges in the process.

What is the polar moment of inertia?

The polar moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It takes into account both the mass and the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

How is the polar moment of inertia different from the moment of inertia?

The polar moment of inertia is specifically for rotational motion around a single axis, while the moment of inertia takes into account rotational motion around multiple axes.

What is the formula for calculating the polar moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating the polar moment of inertia is I = mr², where I is the polar moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass.

How does the polar moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The polar moment of inertia determines how easily an object can rotate around a specific axis. A larger polar moment of inertia means it will be more difficult to rotate the object, while a smaller polar moment of inertia means it will be easier to rotate.

How is the polar moment of inertia used in engineering and design?

The polar moment of inertia is an important factor in designing structures and machines that need to rotate around a specific axis. It allows engineers to determine the amount of torque needed to rotate an object and helps in designing more efficient and durable systems.