Can Triangulation Solve My Computer Vision Problems with 2 Webcams?

In summary, the conversation is about using 2 webcams to measure the distance and speed of an object. The individual is considering using triangulation methods but is facing difficulties in determining the angle of each webcam to the object. They also mention needing 2 angles and the distance between the webcams to find the distance between the webcam and the object. They are a beginner in this subject and are looking for a beginner's book recommendation. One suggestion is to use a protractor to measure the angle if the camera is mounted on something vertical and the object is on a horizontal plane. The individual also wants the process to be automatic and suggests checking out a wiki for more information.
ngkamsengpeter
I am using 2 webcam to measure the distance and speed of an object. I am considering using triangulation methods but i am facing problems how to find the angle of each webcam to the object? Since we need 2 angle and the distance between 2 webcam to find the distance between webcam and the object.

I am a beginner on this subject, so anyone can suggest a very beginner book for me?

Technology news on Phys.org
ngkamsengpeter said:
I am using 2 webcam to measure the distance and speed of an object. I am considering using triangulation methods but i am facing problems how to find the angle of each webcam to the object? Since we need 2 angle and the distance between 2 webcam to find the distance between webcam and the object.

If your camera is mounted on something vertical and your object is on a horizontal plane, just pull out a protractor and measure the angle the camera makes with the vertical.

wiki's a good place to start

story645 said:
If your camera is mounted on something vertical and your object is on a horizontal plane, just pull out a protractor and measure the angle the camera makes with the vertical.

wiki's a good place to start

I want it to be everything automatic.

1. What is computer vision?

Computer vision is a field of artificial intelligence that focuses on enabling computers to interpret, understand, and analyze visual data, such as images and videos, just like humans do. It involves developing algorithms and techniques to extract meaningful information from visual data in order to make automated decisions or perform tasks.

2. What are the main applications of computer vision?

Computer vision has a wide range of applications, including image and video recognition, object detection and tracking, facial recognition, gesture recognition, autonomous vehicles, medical imaging, and surveillance systems. It is also used in industrial automation, agriculture, retail, and many other industries.

3. What are some common challenges in computer vision?

Some common challenges in computer vision include handling variations in lighting, scale, and orientation, dealing with occlusions and cluttered scenes, and recognizing objects from different viewpoints. Other challenges include the need for large amounts of labeled training data, computational complexity, and the interpretability of deep learning models.

4. How is computer vision different from image processing?

Image processing involves manipulating and enhancing images to improve their visual quality, while computer vision focuses on extracting useful information from images for decision-making or task performance. Computer vision also involves higher-level understanding and interpretation of visual data, while image processing is more focused on low-level operations such as noise reduction and image enhancement.

5. What are some common techniques used in computer vision?

Some common techniques used in computer vision include image segmentation, feature extraction, pattern recognition, machine learning, and deep learning. Other techniques include edge detection, corner detection, and optical flow. Depending on the task at hand, different combinations of these techniques may be used to achieve the desired results.