Vince's Search for Online Physics Education

In summary, the speaker is a math graduate who wants to study physics but is limited by their job. They are looking for credible online education options and are interested in theoretical particle physics. The speaker is also interested in turning MIT's OpenCourseWare into a credit-earning program and wonders about the slow adoption of online learning in universities. They acknowledge the challenges of online learning for science classes and the importance of research experience in graduate school applications.
Pants
Greetings all. I graduated with a math degree about a decade ago, but what I'd really like to do is study physics. The problem is that I don't have great options locally, but my day job is going to keep me here, at least for now. I'm hoping to find something good in terms of online education. I'd like to earn actual credentials, so that kind of kills OpenCourseWare at MIT.

I don't have very many physics credit (for what it's worth, I got an A a few years ago when I took an astrophysics course at University of Toronto, where I'm no longer living) so it'd be super-awesome to find something where I only need to take prerequisites necessary for what I'm interested in studying at the graduate level (namely theoretical particle physics).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Vince

Physics news on Phys.org
Pants said:
Greetings all. I graduated with a math degree about a decade ago, but what I'd really like to do is study physics. The problem is that I don't have great options locally, but my day job is going to keep me here, at least for now. I'm hoping to find something good in terms of online education. I'd like to earn actual credentials, so that kind of kills OpenCourseWare at MIT.

It's possible to get an undergraduate degree in physics through distance learning from Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oak University, Excelsior University, or Western Governors University. I don't know anyone who has done so, but I know it's possible. This is only within the US. I do know that other countries have these sorts of programs, and I'd look at Open University and University of South Africa.

As far as graduate work, since you would be doing something non-standard, I know it would be difficult to get a graduate school to take you, but I don't have a sense as to whether it would be difficult or impossible. John Bear has written about British Research Ph.D.'s that can be taken via distance learning.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You are doing something different and different means harder, but what you are doing doesn't seem obviously impossible. One of the things that I will be doing at some point is to see what I can to turn MIT OCW into something that you can get college credit for, and I'd be interested in hearing your own experiences.

Also I'm an MIT alumni, and one of the things that I'm trying to do is to push MIT to provide some mechanism that would allow people to get college credit for OCW, since I think it's absolute horrible that MIT has put up OCW and isn't taking the next logical steps.

Thanks for the information. I'm starting to think that, at least at present, even if I don't have the best choices in the two nearby universities, meatspace classes will likely be better than most online options. Having said that, I'd happily switch to OCW if it became available for credit.

Universities seem slow to adopt online learning. I wonder how much of it is because they don't think it will lead to as good an education, and how much of it is fear about new business models.

Online learning is hard for science classes, simply because there are required labs and I haven't seen a good way to get anything out of those online. Also, a good part of your graduate school application would normally be recommendations from professors, and hopefully ones you worked with on a research project, and that might not be possible online. Many students planning on heading to grad school will get some form of research experience, so you'll be competing against that.

Dear Vince,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your interest in studying physics. It's great to see your passion for the subject and your determination to further your education despite facing some challenges.

In terms of online physics education, there are many options available that can provide you with the necessary credentials and prerequisites for graduate studies. One option to consider is enrolling in an accredited online degree program in physics. These programs offer a structured curriculum and provide you with a degree upon completion, which can be beneficial for your future career prospects.

Another option is to take online courses from reputable universities, such as MIT's online courses or other universities that offer online physics courses. These courses may not provide you with a degree, but they can still provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to prepare you for graduate studies.

It's also worth considering reaching out to your local universities to see if they offer any online physics courses or programs. They may have options that can fit your needs and allow you to continue working while pursuing your studies.

Overall, it's important to thoroughly research and compare your options to find the best fit for your needs and goals. I wish you all the best in your search for online physics education and in your future studies in theoretical particle physics.

Best of luck,

What is "Vince's Search for Online Physics Education"?

"Vince's Search for Online Physics Education" is a project aimed at finding the best online resources for learning physics. It was created by Vince, a scientist and physics enthusiast, in order to help others who are interested in learning about the subject but may not have access to traditional classroom education.

Why is online physics education important?

Online physics education provides a flexible and accessible way for individuals to learn about the subject at their own pace and on their own schedule. It also allows for a wider range of resources and learning materials to be available, making it easier to find the most suitable and engaging content.

How does Vince choose which resources to include in the project?

Vince uses a variety of criteria to evaluate and select online physics resources. These include the accuracy and quality of the information, the level of interactivity and engagement, and the ease of use for learners. He also takes into consideration recommendations from other experts in the field.

Are the resources recommended by Vince free to access?

While many of the resources included in the project are free, some may require a paid subscription or purchase. Vince aims to include a mix of both free and paid options to cater to different budgets and preferences.

Can anyone contribute to "Vince's Search for Online Physics Education"?

Yes, anyone is welcome to contribute to the project by suggesting resources or providing feedback on existing ones. Vince values the input of others and encourages collaboration in order to create a comprehensive and helpful resource for those interested in online physics education.