B.S. M.S and Phd in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the University of Tennessee at Knoxville has a great accredited nuclear engineering program and it is comparable to the University of Michigan. It is recommended to visit both universities to get a first-hand feel for things before making a decision. A dual major or secondary masters in mechanical engineering could be helpful, but it is advised to stick to one major as switching from math to engineering will be challenging. The UT program offers co-operative work opportunities and is more accommodating to this program compared to Georgia Tech. It is also suggested to consider a MS in mechanical engineering after completing the BENE degree. For a second major, it is recommended to choose something more theoretical and computational, such as physics or math, as it is relevant to current and advanced nuclear power systems
Thermalne
I recently finished an associates degree in Mathematics from a local college in Georgia, and I am entering the University of Tennessee at Knoxville for Nuclear Engineering.

If you have any experience with this Uni. how good is their nuke program? Will I be hurting from getting a degree from there instead of University of Michigan?

Also how helpful would a possible dual major or secondary masters in Mechanical engineering be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Greetings, I forwarded your question to a friend of mine who was there.
Here was his comments:

"The UTK has a great accredited nuclear engineering program!

As you know, was in the graduate program there myself. As for the University of Michigan, would say it's comparable as far as I know, but he really should pay a visit to both universities. Going to spend a number of years there, better off getting a first hand feel for things. As for dual degree or double major, would say stick to one as it's going to be hard enough, but he really should talk to his advisor about this. Jumping from math to any engineering will definitely keep you busy :^)

crazyisraelie said:
I recently finished an associates degree in Mathematics from a local college in Georgia, and I am entering the University of Tennessee at Knoxville for Nuclear Engineering.

If you have any experience with this Uni. how good is their nuke program? Will I be hurting from getting a degree from there instead of University of Michigan?

Also how helpful would a possible dual major or secondary masters in Mechanical engineering be?
As far as I know, UTK has a good engineering program, although I don't know the specifics of the Nuc E program. They interact with Oak Ridge National Lab, so there might be some good opportunities there.

http://www.engr.utk.edu/nuclear/

I had interned with some UT guys before. They are a lot more accommodating to the co-operative work program that Georgia Tech, as they offer classes twice a year instead of once. I would strongly suggest you check this program out to get some real world experience. I'm not familiar with University of Michigan though.

"They are a lot more accommodating to the co-operative work program that Georgia Tech,"

That?

Also thanks for the recommendations and advice, I'm heading to UTk for the fall for at least my Bachelors. I was considering UM mainly for my PhD.

If you're going to double major, I wouldn't do two engineering majors. Couple one engineering major with something more theoretical and "pure" such as physics or math.

How so? Why would a theoretical help with a more application field?

Tennessee has a very good NE program. After your BENE, consider a MS in mechanical engineering.

tenparsecs said:
If you're going to double major, I wouldn't do two engineering majors. Couple one engineering major with something more theoretical and "pure" such as physics or math.

I would like to know if this is a good idea or not, I'm looking at maybe adding Applied Physics for a dual major.

edgepflow said:
Tennessee has a very good NE program. After your BENE, consider a MS in mechanical engineering.
UTK really does have a good program, and they are still building it up.

http://catalog.utk.edu/content.php?catoid=2&navoid=107 (use prefixes NE, ME, MSE and click on filter)

With respect to achieving a BS, MS and PhD in NE, it's reasonable if one wishes to focus in nuclear energy. For a second major, I'd recommend Mech Eng, Mat Sci, or Physics, and particularly classes that are heavy in computation. I've actually prefer a blend of applied and theoretical, but not necessarily to the QM/QP/SR level, although it's possible for certain areas.

Consider a course like ME 452 - Finite Element Analysis
3 Credit Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conversion of fundamental conservation principles in mechanics to simulation form via finite element implementation. Applications in heat transfer, solid mechanics, mechanical vibrations, fluid mechanics and heat/mass transport. Extensive computer lab experiments using Matlab-based and commercial software systems.
Recommended Background: 321, 344, and 363.

If at all possible, one should look for expsosure to codes like ANSYS or ABAQUS.

This is a hot area right now, and very relevant to current and advanced nuclear power systems, and also to non-nuclear systems at high temperature.

MSE 612 - Computational Plasticity and Micromechanics
3 Credit Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computational modeling and simulation methods will be introduced with applications in plasticity, fracture and fatigue, microstructural evolution, and material instability in engineering structural materials. Topics include the classic finite element method based on constitutive modeling, cohesive interface model, discrete dislocation dynamics, atomistic/continuum coupling techniques, and current research areas that are pertinent to the research efforts at UT and ORNL.

along with

MSE 650 - Mechanical Behavior of Solids at Elevated Temperatures
3 Credit Hours
Metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites will be included. Topics include: temperature effect on stress-strain behavior, anelasticity, damping, creep, creep mechanisms, strengthening at high temperatures, creep rupture, deformation map and engineering application, environmental effects, high-temperature indentation, high temperature plastic forming, superplasticity, creep-fatigue interaction, life prediction. Provides scientific knowledge to face and solve material problems encountered in high temperature applications.
(DE) Prerequisite(s): 511 and 512.

Last edited:
Thank you I really do appreciate the help. I'm leaning more towards a dual in theoretical physics with the nuke degree..

1. What is the difference between a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering?

A B.S. in Nuclear Engineering is a four-year undergraduate degree that provides students with a foundational understanding of nuclear science and engineering principles. An M.S. in Nuclear Engineering is a graduate degree that typically takes 2-3 years to complete and builds upon the knowledge gained in a B.S. program, with a focus on research and advanced coursework. A Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering is the highest level of education in this field and typically takes 4-6 years to complete, with a heavy emphasis on research and the development of new technologies.

2. What types of job opportunities are available for those with a degree in Nuclear Engineering?

Graduates with a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including nuclear power generation, medical and industrial uses of radiation, nuclear waste management, and research and development. They may also work for government agencies, such as the Department of Energy or the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

3. How long does it take to complete a degree in Nuclear Engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a degree in Nuclear Engineering depends on the level of education. A B.S. typically takes four years, an M.S. takes 2-3 years, and a Ph.D. takes 4-6 years. These timelines may vary based on individual circumstances and program requirements.

4. What skills are necessary for success in a career in Nuclear Engineering?

Some of the key skills necessary for success in Nuclear Engineering include a strong background in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Strong communication and leadership skills are also important, as well as a commitment to safety and ethical practices.

5. What are some potential risks and benefits associated with working in the field of Nuclear Engineering?

Some potential risks associated with working in Nuclear Engineering include exposure to radiation, which must be carefully monitored and managed, as well as the possibility of accidents or equipment failures. However, there are also many benefits to this field, including the potential for high salaries, opportunities for cutting-edge research and development, and the ability to contribute to important advancements in energy and medical technology.