Is nuclear energy a viable solution for our energy problems?

In summary: Nuclear power - the good, the bad, and the ugly" for some interesting stats.In summary, the nuclear power debate is frustrating because both sides are presenting conflicting statistics. The other thing that didn't sit well with us was the perpetuation of the myth that civil nuclear energy programs lead to proliferation.
Hologram0110
I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the latest discussion on nuclear power from TED.

It is titled "Does the world need nuclear energy?" (linked below).
http://www.ted.com/talks/debate_does_the_world_need_nuclear_energy.html

Personally, as a nuclear engineering in training, I'm very much in favour of increasing the supply of nuclear energy. However, I thought it was frustrating in the debate when both sides are presenting of conflicting statistics. It makes it very hard to come to any sort of conclusion when both sides are simply saying the other one is lying.

The other thing I didn't like is the perpetuation of the myth that civil nuclear energy programs lead to proliferation. The green energy speaker went so far as to say it inevitably leads to nuking one of the largest cities in the world. Does anyone else not think that this is horsegarbage? It is difficult to make an effective nuclear weapon from spent fuel and IAEA safegaurds are in place to fight proliferation.

How can you fight this kind of ignorance? We didn't like the numbers, so we decided that the other side results in the destruction of one of the most populous cities on the planet to swing the numbers in our favor.

Obviously it would be nice if we had a green solution to our energy problems however everything I have seen says the numbers don't add up. The cost of green energy is not competitive with traditional forms of energy when you factor in the capacity factors and intermittent nature of these sources. Besides no mention is made of requiring traditional plants for backup power generation.

This guy claims that green energy is a practical, cost competitive option. Anyone know what assumptions these calculations are based on? Eg Having enough wind turbines spread out because the wind is always blowing somewhere? Grid capable of moving power in pretty much any direction?

Unfortunately, at the end of the debate, support of nuclear decreased in the audience.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As someone who studied nuclear engineering several decades ago, and then left the field because of these issues, i sympathize. Unfortunately, not much has changed in the last few decades. The techniques you witnessed, while frustrating, are also effective. If we could rationally compare the environmental costs of nuclear power with our current power infrastructure, anyone claiming to be environmentally conscious would be clamoring for nuclear power. The current gulf oil spill dwarfs the environmental impact of all of the world's nuclear accidents put together. However, I personally have given up hope of the world making a rational choice on this issue. At least so-called "green energy", while clearly not the best choice, is better than freezing in the dark. My current feeling is that any move away from fossil fuels is a good move.

1. What is the current state of the nuclear energy debate?

The nuclear energy debate on TED centers around the ongoing discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power as a source of energy. Some argue that it is a clean and reliable source of energy, while others raise concerns about safety, waste management, and potential environmental hazards.

2. What are the main arguments for and against nuclear energy?

Proponents of nuclear energy argue that it is a low-carbon source of energy that can reduce reliance on fossil fuels and mitigate climate change. They also point to its ability to generate large amounts of energy and its relatively low cost. Opponents raise concerns about the potential for accidents, the long-term storage of radioactive waste, and the potential for nuclear weapons proliferation.

3. What are the safety measures in place for nuclear power plants?

Nuclear power plants are subject to strict safety regulations and protocols to prevent accidents and protect workers and nearby communities. These include redundant safety systems, regular inspections, and emergency response plans. Additionally, operators must adhere to strict protocols for handling and disposing of radioactive materials.

4. How does the waste from nuclear energy plants affect the environment?

The waste from nuclear energy plants, primarily spent nuclear fuel rods, is highly radioactive and must be stored securely for thousands of years. Improper disposal or accidents can lead to contamination of the environment and pose health risks to nearby communities. However, proponents argue that modern technologies for waste disposal and recycling can mitigate these risks.

5. What are some potential alternatives to nuclear energy?

Alternatives to nuclear energy include renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. These sources are generally considered to be cleaner and safer than nuclear energy, but they also have limitations in terms of scalability and reliability. Other alternatives include energy efficiency measures and advancements in energy storage technology.