E-Learning in Science: Experiences and Opinions

• Thread starter Bartek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Distance learning can be useful in some cases but it is not suitable for every topic. For example, I have done distance learning for physics and math, but I would not recommend it for experimental lessons. Meeting online is worth using if it is not possible in the real world meetings.
Bartek
I wonder if anyone of you use Skype or another messenger to teach science (like math, physics, chemistry).

What is your opinion about distance learning?

Have you some experience in this topic?

I am a math/physics tutor and I use Skype and videoconference platform, I would like to know your opinion about this kind of teaching.

Science news on Phys.org
I haven't specifically used Skype, but I have taught math online, and participated in several teleconference-style online classes regarding advanced optics. For my math class, the course format was similar to Blackboard, and we used a version of a chat room (not live chat) in place of classroom discussion. The teleconference-style courses were remarkably similar to actually being in the room.

Distance learning is great for some topics- topics where the student can learn most of the material on their own, and needs only to check in periodically to verify progress.

What surprised me is that creating an effective distance learning experience required significantly *more* work- besides the ongoing IT issues, compensating for the lack of real-time interaction is a real challenge. It's much more difficult to keep the students interested, for example. It's much harder to have a spontaneous digression about a topic, or to explore more in-depth when a student asks a question.

On the student end, teleconference-style classes were (IMO) made more difficult by the increased difficulty in getting the lecturer's attention when I had a question.

Andy Resnick said:
For my math class, the course format was similar to Blackboard, and we used a version of a chat room (not live chat) in place of classroom discussion. The teleconference-style courses were remarkably similar to actually being in the room.
As a course format I use Moodle, I think, that Moodle is more elastic than Blackboard.

During the live teleconference I'm able to use slide presentations, multimedia and of course a whiteboard. It actually resembles a real lesson in the classroom. For discussions during lecture we use the live chat.

You're right, it's hard to keep the students attention. I found that a lecture can not be longer than 45 minutes. But on one-to-one lesson (eg. Skype) I had longer lessons.

You wrote "Distance learning is great for some topics". I think, that distanse learning is unsuitable only for some topics (eg. experimental lesson, measure exercises etc). In most cases, it's great.

regards
Bartek

Last edited:
I've seen Moodle- and what I saw, I liked.

Here's a question for you- what is the context that you are doing a distance learning program? I mean, are you dealing with students that can't physically come to your class, or maybe you are affiliated with a remote-learning program, etc, etc.. as opposed to "e-learning is the wave of the future" reason. What need are you meeting? What special value are you providing? Why are your students participating in your e-learning class instead of going to a "bricks and mortar" location?

Distance learning is only going to become more popular. I want to make sure (meaning when the regents/provost/dean etc start soliciting ideas) that it *compliments* the classroom, not *replaces* the classroom.

Andy Resnick said:
Why are your students participating in your e-learning class instead of going to a "bricks and mortar" location?
Well, I'm a freelanced tutor. My pupils have their own schools. Distance learning is necessary if they live in another city (or country - I have one from Ireland). Some of them I know personally, some are "virtual person". With them I've mostly use "live" methods: Skype or videocenference. Moodle is only the place to give them materials, test theirs knowledge etc.

Last year, I've conducting a series of live lectures, that match the scope of a typical school syllabus. These were the free lectures open to all. I think it was a success - many of them significantly incease their rating. Parallel to the live lectures, I've created a course in Moodle. Course include all Moodle benefits: lessons, tests, seminars (workshop) etc.

This was a experiment before project we prepare for autumn. We want to start with "virtual school". School for two kinds of pupils: primary for those who can't go to real school because of illness and for all who want to increase his knowledge. Course will be adecuate (parallel) to school program.

I've conducted also courses for adult (about electronic signature and PKI). Accountants in Poland have to use e-sign in tax compilianse with US (polish IRS). I teach them how to use this gadget :-). They participated in lectures on the Internet because they do not want to waste time in traffic jams (or they are from different cities).

There is no doubt that classroom teaching is better. Meeting online is worth using if it is not possible in the real world meetings. There are many such situations. For geographical reasons, for example.

regards
Bartek

Last edited:
OK, I think I understand- you are doing this all on your own, not as part of a larger initiative?

Andy Resnick said:
you are doing this all on your own, not as part of a larger initiative?
Cooperate with a number of training companies. But not as an employee, just help. Many organizations use e-learning. But in the traditional sense (tradition in elearning :biggrin:). They just want to have the LMS platform. My passion is meeting on-line live. I think that e-learning course, without such meetings are just a tutorial.

regards

1. What is e-learning in science?

E-learning in science refers to the use of electronic technologies to deliver educational content related to science. This can include online courses, interactive simulations, virtual labs, and other digital resources that allow students to learn about scientific concepts and theories through a digital platform.

2. How does e-learning in science compare to traditional classroom learning?

E-learning in science offers several advantages over traditional classroom learning, such as increased flexibility in terms of time and location, access to a wide range of resources, and the ability to engage in interactive and multimedia activities. However, it may also lack the face-to-face interaction and hands-on experiences that traditional classroom learning provides.

3. What are the potential benefits of incorporating e-learning in science?

Some potential benefits of e-learning in science include improved accessibility for students, increased engagement and motivation, enhanced collaboration and communication, and the ability to personalize learning experiences. It may also allow for more efficient and effective instruction, as well as access to a wider range of instructional materials.

4. What are some potential challenges with implementing e-learning in science?

Some potential challenges with implementing e-learning in science include the need for reliable technology and internet access, the potential for technical difficulties or glitches, and the need for proper training and support for both students and teachers. Additionally, some students may struggle with self-motivation and time management in an online learning environment.

5. How can e-learning in science be effectively integrated into the curriculum?

Effective integration of e-learning in science requires careful planning and consideration of instructional goals and objectives. It is important to select appropriate technologies and resources that align with the curriculum and promote active learning and critical thinking. Ongoing evaluation and feedback from students can also help to ensure the successful integration of e-learning in science.