Polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot

In summary, the polar moment of inertia for a hollow shaft with three circular slots at 120 degree intervals can be calculated by subtracting the inertia of the slots from the inertia of the hollow shaft. The slots are assumed to be like cylinders and can be approximated to a cuboid for easier calculation. The parallel axis theorem can be used to find the inertia about the axis of the shaft.
chaitac

Homework Statement

HI
Can anyone help me in finding out the polar moment of inertia of a hollow shaft with 3 circular slots . Its used in design of DIVERTERS in oil and gas application.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a diagram?

Do you know the dimensions of the slots? If you do, then you can just subtract the inertia of the slots from the inertia of the hollow shaft.

J= πd4/32

The slots are 1.031 long and 0.688 wide Like a Mill Slot . they are rounded at the end(Radius of the rounded ends 0.344). they are 3 slots at 120 degree apart place radially.

Thanks

I think the polar moment of inertia for a hollow shaft is J = π(D4-d4)/32 when derived from its center. I have the slots 0.250 distant from the end of the shaft. How does it change the MOI?

chaitac said:
The slots are 1.031 long and 0.688 wide Like a Mill Slot . they are rounded at the end(Radius of the rounded ends 0.344). they are 3 slots at 120 degree apart place radially.

Thanks

I think then, you can assume that they are like cylinders then, and just subtract them from the inertia of the entire thing. But I'm not too sure what a Mill Slot looks like so it is possible that I may suggesting the wrong thing.

_____
(_____)

I hope you got how the slot is looking .

Last edited:
chaitac said:
http://www.lukescustoms.com/Page11_Rail_Milling/Foregrip_Slot.JPG

my part is similar to the pic in the link (its a section view) its a hollow shaft with slot in it. how can we calculate the moi for the part.

Well in that case, I'd just approximate that shape to a cuboid.

Just find the inertia about its own center and then use the parallel axis theorem to find the inertia about the axis of the shaft.

1. What is the definition of polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot?

The polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot is a measure of the resistance of the shaft to torsion, or twisting, around its central axis. This value takes into account the shape of the shaft, including any slots or holes that may be present.

2. How is the polar moment of inertia calculated for a shaft with slot?

The polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot can be calculated by first finding the moment of inertia for the cross-sectional area of the shaft and then adding the moment of inertia for the slot. This can be done using the parallel axis theorem, which takes into account the distance of the slot from the shaft's central axis.

3. What factors can affect the polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot?

The polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot can be affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the slot, the material properties of the shaft, and the distance of the slot from the central axis of the shaft. Additionally, the orientation of the slot can also impact the polar moment of inertia.

4. Why is the polar moment of inertia important for shaft design?

The polar moment of inertia is an important factor to consider in shaft design because it determines the shaft's ability to resist torsional forces. A higher polar moment of inertia means the shaft is more resistant to twisting, making it a stronger and more reliable component in a mechanical system.

5. How does the polar moment of inertia for a shaft with slot compare to that of a solid shaft?

A shaft with a slot will typically have a lower polar moment of inertia compared to a solid shaft with the same outer diameter. This is because the presence of a slot reduces the amount of material in the cross-section, thus decreasing the shaft's resistance to torsion. However, the exact difference in polar moment of inertia will depend on the size and shape of the slot and the material properties of the shaft.