Two versions of dos command prompt

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dos
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the "cmd" and "command" commands, with one being the original DOS prompt and the other being the native DOS prompt. The syntax for the COPY command is also discussed, with the option to indicate multiple files using the wildcard "*" character. The conversation also mentions using the "help" command for more information and provides an example of using the wildcard character to copy specific files.
jackson6612
Hi

If I write the command "cmd" I get a different version of Command Prompt from when I enter the command "command". More or less they're the same but start with different 'initial' command string. What's the difference between the two? Please help me. Thanks.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
command.com is the original dos prompt, cmd.exe is the native dos prompt.

google turns up lots of info on this.

This Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands explain the COPY command as such:

copy

Copies files from one location to another. The destination defaults to the current directory. If multiple source files are indicated, the destination must be a directory, or an error will result.

Syntax:
copy from [source\filename] to [destination\folder]

1: But the syntax with "from" and "to" doesn't work. One has to do without the two. Does Wikipedia have it wrong, or is it me who is interpreting it wrongly?

2: How do I indicate multiple files instead of one, I mean what would be the syntax look like then?

Please help.

command.com is the 16bit command prompt used in DOS(which was 16bit), and that cmd.exe is the 32bit executable meant to emulate command.com for the later 32bit Windows.

jackson6612 said:
2: How do I indicate multiple files instead of one, I mean what would be the syntax look like then?
As far as I remember, multiple files could be indicated with the wildcard "*" character. For example, *.txt would refer to all files (in the current directory) with a .txt extension. Or a*.* would refer to all files beginning with the letter a. And *.* means all files.

jackson6612 said:
1: But the syntax with "from" and "to" doesn't work. One has to do without the two. Does Wikipedia have it wrong, or is it me who is interpreting it wrongly?
Some combination, but you can edit it if you think it's unclear. You can always type help copy into the prompt for the usage anyway.

As far as I remember, multiple files could be indicated with the wildcard "*" character. For example, *.txt would refer to all files (in the current directory) with a .txt extension. Or a*.* would refer to all files beginning with the letter a.
Just tested this and yeah it works as expected. For example, if you've got a list of data files by year and you only want files from the 90s, you'd do
copy "*199*" dest

1. What is the difference between the two versions of DOS command prompt?

The two versions of DOS command prompt are the MS-DOS prompt and the Windows command prompt. The main difference between them is that MS-DOS prompt is a standalone operating system, while the Windows command prompt is a part of the Windows operating system.

2. Can I run the same commands on both versions of DOS command prompt?

Yes, most of the commands are the same on both versions of DOS command prompt. However, there may be some slight differences in syntax and functionality.

3. Are there any advantages to using one version over the other?

The choice between the two versions of DOS command prompt depends on the user's needs. The MS-DOS prompt may be preferred by users who need a simple and lightweight command line interface, while the Windows command prompt offers more features and capabilities.

4. Can I switch between the two versions of DOS command prompt?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two versions of DOS command prompt. In Windows, you can open the MS-DOS prompt by typing "command" in the Run dialog box. And in MS-DOS, you can switch to the Windows command prompt by typing "win" in the command line.

5. Are there any limitations to using the two versions of DOS command prompt?

Both versions of DOS command prompt have some limitations. The MS-DOS prompt is limited to running commands and does not have any graphical user interface. The Windows command prompt, on the other hand, may not be able to execute some advanced commands that require administrative privileges.