Changing string length -> changing fundamental freq.

In summary, to find the length of a 0.5 m violin string that will produce a new fundamental frequency of 528 Hz, we can use the equation 2L/n = v/2\upsilon, where L is the length of the string and n is the harmonic number. By setting the phase velocity of the given fundamental frequency at 440 m/s, we can calculate the needed length to be 0.416m. To maintain the same velocity, the tension in the shorter string can be kept the same as in the longer one, thus keeping the linear density constant.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Don't have the solution, just want to check if I did this properly.

A 0.5 m violin string fixed at both ends has its first harmonic or fundamental frequency at 440 Hz. Assuming the string is non dispersive, calculate the length it should have so its new fundamental frequency will be 528 Hz.

Homework Equations

The nth harmonic's wavelength is 2L/n, where L is the length of the string.
[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\upsilon[/tex] = v

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently the phase velocity of the given fundamental harmonic is 440m/s.

If I want a new [tex]\upsilon[/tex] of 528 Hz, I'd need a string of length = v/2[tex]\upsilon[/tex], so 440/2(528) = 0.416m. A shorter string = higher frequency which makes sense, but my question is: how is the velocity of the wave still 440 m/s? I just shortened the string, wouldn't the tension be greater necessarily(or the linear density decreased as a consequence), hence the velocity would change?

For the sake of simplicity: does the new fundamental harmonic at 528Hz still propagate at 440m/s along the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:
A shorter string = higher frequency which makes sense, but my question is: how is the velocity of the wave still 440 m/s? I just shortened the string, wouldn't the tension be greater necessarily(or the linear density decreased as a consequence), hence the velocity would change?

You can choose the tension in the shorter string the same as in the longer one. (It is not stretched to the original length). So the linear density stays the same.

ehild

1. How does changing the length of a string affect the fundamental frequency?

Changing the length of a string directly affects the fundamental frequency, as it is directly proportional to the length of the string. This means that as the length of the string increases, the fundamental frequency decreases, and vice versa.

2. What is the relationship between string length and fundamental frequency?

The relationship between string length and fundamental frequency is inverse. This means that as one increases, the other decreases. In this case, as the string length increases, the fundamental frequency decreases.

3. Can changing the tension of a string also affect the fundamental frequency?

Yes, changing the tension of a string can also affect the fundamental frequency. Increasing the tension of a string will increase the fundamental frequency, while decreasing the tension will decrease the fundamental frequency.

4. How does changing the material of a string affect the fundamental frequency?

Changing the material of a string can also affect the fundamental frequency. Different materials have different densities and stiffness, which can affect the speed at which sound waves travel through the string. This change in speed can result in a change in the fundamental frequency.

5. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the relationship between string length and fundamental frequency?

Yes, there is a mathematical formula known as the "wave equation" that can be used to calculate the relationship between string length and fundamental frequency. It takes into account variables such as string tension, mass per unit length, and length to calculate the fundamental frequency of a string.