Converting between units for thermal conductivities (BTUs involved)

In summary, the thermal conductivity of wood can be converted from 1 BTU per hour, per square foot, for a temperature gradient of 1 F° per inch to 0.172 W/mK using the conversions 1 F° = 5/9 C°, 1 inch = 0.0254 m, 1 foot = 0.3048 m, 1 lb = 0.453593 kg, and 1 kcal = 4184 J. The unit needed to be converted is BTU·inch / hr·ft²·F° and the definition of BTU can be used to find the conversion factor to joules. Both a degree Fahrenheit (°F) and a Fahrenheit degree
mclame22
The thermal conductivity of wood is 1 BTU per hour, per square foot, for a temperature gradient of 1 F° per inch. Convert this to units of W/mK, knowing
1 F° = 5/9 C°
1 inch = 0.0254 m
1 foot = 0.3048 m
1 lb = 0.453593 kg
1 kcal = 4184 JI know there are conversions between BTU and joules/calories, but he says looking this up will cost us half of the question. So far all I've concluded (I think) is that the unit we need to convert is
BTU·inch / hr·ft²·F°

But I'm not sure how to get rid of the BTU without knowing a conversion factor... If I can get rid of the BTU I'm sure I'll be able to figure the rest out. Is there a way to do it without knowing anything else, maybe by using the definition of a BTU?
I'm also confused about the difference between a degree Fahrenheit (°F) and a Fahrenheit degree (F°).

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that you can use the definition of BTU to find how many joules a BTU is. But are you allowed to use it?

About Fahrenheit, I THINK both are the same.

Last edited:

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat. It is the rate at which heat flows through a material per unit of temperature difference.

What units are used to measure thermal conductivity?

The most commonly used units for thermal conductivity are BTU (British Thermal Unit) per hour per square foot per degree Fahrenheit (BTU/hr·ft·°F) and Watts per meter per Kelvin (W/m·K).

How do you convert between BTUs and Watts for thermal conductivity?

To convert from BTU/hr·ft·°F to W/m·K, multiply the value in BTU/hr·ft·°F by 0.5778. To convert from W/m·K to BTU/hr·ft·°F, multiply the value in W/m·K by 1.732.

Why is it important to convert between units for thermal conductivity?

Converting between units for thermal conductivity allows for accurate and consistent comparisons between different materials. It also allows for easier understanding and communication of thermal properties across different regions and industries that may use different unit systems.

Are there any online tools available for converting between units for thermal conductivity?

Yes, there are several online conversion calculators and tables available for converting between BTU and Watt units for thermal conductivity. Some common ones include Unit Converter (https://www.unitconverters.net/thermal-conductivity-converter.html) and Rapid Tables (https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/heat/btu-to-watt.html).