How Does the Angle Between Two Supporting Wires Affect the Tension Force?

In summary, the tension force in each rope will be the same whether they are held straight up or to the side, as long as the angle between them is not 180 degrees. This is because a horizontal cord does not have a vertical component of force, and thus cannot balance out the weight of the object. Therefore, the object will not be in equilibrium.
Coldie
If two wires are holding a 500N weight up, will the tension force in each rope be greater if they are both held taught to the side than if they are both simply holding it straight up? For holding it straight up, the tension force is simply 250N in each, derived from 2Ftsin90 - 500 = 0. To find the tension force when they are both held to the side, I wrote 2Ftcos0 - 500 = 0. However, this gets the same result for tension force as the first example. It seems to me that the tension force would be greater when the two wires are held to the side. Could someone explain whether I'm right, and if so, what I'm doing wrong? Interesting sentence there...

[edit]
I think that the second equation is wrong, and the equation should always be the first one. On solving for an angle of 120 between the wires, the equation 2Ftsin30 - 500 = 0 got me 500N for the tension force on each cord. On upping the angle between them to 170, the equation 2Ftsin5 - 500 = 0 gets 2868N! The force seem to approach infinity as the angle between the cords approaches 180. Does this mean that it's impossible to have two cords pulling perfectly horizontally on an object and keeping it at equilibrium?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Does this mean that it's impossible to have two cords pulling perfectly horizontally on an object and keeping it at equilibrium?"

That is correct, when the tensile force is regarded as PARALLELL to the orientation of the cord. You need some vertical component of the tensile force in order to achieve equilibrium (i.e, balancing gravity in this case).

Since a horizontal cord doesn't have a non-zero component of tensile force, the ONLY vertical force acting on the object is gravity, i.e, the object is not in equilibrium.

Thanks. I didn't expect such a tricky question from such a simple-looking problem. Our teacher's a trickster!

1. How much weight can two wires hold?

The weight that two wires can hold depends on several factors, including the material and thickness of the wires, the distance between them, and the type of weight being held. It is important to consult with an engineer or refer to weight capacity guidelines when determining the maximum weight for a specific set of wires.

2. Can two wires hold more weight than one wire?

Generally, two wires can hold more weight than one wire because the weight is distributed between the two wires, reducing the strain on each individual wire. However, this also depends on the factors mentioned above, and it is important to consider the weight capacity of both the individual wires and the combined weight capacity of the two wires.

3. What are the best materials for wires that need to hold a weight?

The best materials for wires that need to hold a weight are typically strong and durable materials such as steel or aluminum. These materials have high tensile strength and can withstand heavy loads without breaking. However, the specific material used may also depend on the environment in which the wires will be used, as some materials may be more resistant to corrosion or other factors.

4. How do I determine the appropriate thickness for wires holding a specific weight?

The appropriate thickness for wires holding a specific weight can be determined by consulting with an engineer or referring to weight capacity guidelines. Thicker wires generally have a higher weight capacity, but it is important to also consider the other factors mentioned above, as well as any other factors specific to the application.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using wires to hold a weight?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when using wires to hold a weight. These include ensuring that the wires are securely attached and properly tensioned, regularly inspecting the wires for any signs of wear or damage, and following all safety guidelines and regulations for working with wires and weights. It is also important to use caution when handling heavy weights and to never exceed the weight capacity of the wires.