Is ln(x)3 the Same as [ln(x)]3? Decoding Logarithm Notation

In summary, there are two ways to write logarithms with exponents: ln(x)^3 which means (ln(x))^3 and ln(x^3) which means ln(x^3). The first form follows the "law of logarithms" where ln(x^3) is equal to 3ln(x). Abbreviated notations without brackets are also commonly used.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

is ln(x)3 the same as saying [ln(x)]3? Also, if there is a difference, which one applies to the exponent being moved into the front of the logarithm as in 3ln(x)?

Homework Equations

natural logarithms

The Attempt at a Solution

I just got tripped up on the notation. Normally I see logarithms written as ln(x)3, but when I saw this, I wasn't quite sure if it was the same or not. I wasn't too sure if it was like sin2(x) and [sin(x)]2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, [itex]ln(x)^3[/itex] means [itex](ln(x))^3[/itex] as opposed to [itex]ln(x^3)[/itex]. (The second form, with parentheses, is preferable as it is clearer.) It is the latter to which we can apply the "law of logarithms": [itex]ln(x^3)= 3ln(x)[/itex].

Look at a numerical example: ln(2)= 0.6931, approximately, so [itex](ln(2))^3= 0.3330[/itex] while [itex]ln(2^3)= ln(8)= 2.0794= 3ln(2)[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, [itex]ln(x)^3[/itex] means [itex](ln(x))^2[/itex] as opposed to [itex]ln(x^3)[/itex]. (The second form, with parentheses, is preferable as it is clearer.) It is the latter to which we can apply the "law of logarithms": [itex]ln(x^3)= 3ln(x)[/itex].

Look at a numerical example: ln(2)= 0.6931, approximately, so [itex](ln(2))^3= 0.3330[/itex] while [itex]ln(2^3)= ln(8)= 2.0794= 3ln(2)[/itex].

Ah, thank you for the great explanation.

Be aware that you'll also see abbreviated notations without the brackets. Like,

[tex]\log x^2 = \log(x^2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\log^2 x = ( \log(x) )^2[/tex]

This type of notation is frequently used with trig functions too.

uart said:
Be aware that you'll also see abbreviated notations without the brackets. Like,

[tex]\log x^2 = \log(x^2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\log^2 x = ( \log(x) )^2[/tex]

This type of notation is frequently used with trig functions too.

ah thank you for further clarifying!

What is logarithm notation?

Logarithm notation is a mathematical representation of the inverse of exponential functions. It is used to solve equations involving exponential functions.

How do you read logarithm notation?

Logarithm notation is read as "log" followed by the base of the logarithm and then the value inside the parentheses. For example, log2(8) is read as "log base 2 of 8."

What is the base in logarithm notation?

The base in logarithm notation is the number that is raised to a power to get the input value. For example, in log2(8), 2 is the base.

What are the properties of logarithm notation?

The properties of logarithm notation include the product property, quotient property, and power property. These properties allow for the simplification and manipulation of logarithmic expressions.

How is logarithm notation used in real life?

Logarithm notation is used in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance to represent quantities that grow or decay exponentially. It is also used in data analysis and modeling to describe exponential growth or decay patterns.