Asymptotes and Hyperbolas: Exploring the Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hyperbolas and whether or not all graphs with asymptotes are considered hyperbolas. The conversation also touches on other types of functions with asymptotes, such as reciprocal and rational functions. The speakers also mention using resources beyond textbooks, such as the internet, for further understanding of hyperbolas.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

If a graph has an asymptote, does that mean it's always going to be a hyperbola?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I started to think of y=tan(x) and y=cot(x). I believe they would be called trigonometric circular functions as they repeat, but are they still considered hyperbolas because they have asymptotes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you even know what a hyperbola is...?

flyingpig said:
Do you even know what a hyperbola is...?

To be honest, my understanding of them is not that strong. You caught me. This is why I am asking.

Do you have a book?

The graph of y = ln(x) has a vertical asymptote, but does not represent a hyperbola.

flyingpig said:
Do you have a book?

Yep, I have calculus books. Unfortunately, they don't go into hyperbola's hardly at all. The one I have for school just deals with parabolas.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The graph of y = ln(x) has a vertical asymptote, but does not represent a hyperbola.

Hey, thank you. That's just what I needed :smile:

Well you have access to much more than a single textbook. You can use your computer and google 'hyperbola' or 'conic section'.

What about reciprocal functions of the form [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] that have asymptotes at y=0,
or rational functions with a constant non-zero asymptote such as [tex]\frac{2x}{x+1}[/tex] or even an asymptote that is a not a line, [tex]\frac{x^3-1}{x}\approx\frac{(x-1)(x^2+x+1)}{x-1}=x^2+x+1, x\neq 1[/tex]. For this function as x gets very large positive or negative, the graph approaches the parabola [itex]y=x^2+x+1[/itex]

Mentallic said:
What about reciprocal functions of the form [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] that have asymptotes at y=0,
This is a hyperbola. The central axis is rotated by 45°.

Mentallic said:
or rational functions with a constant non-zero asymptote such as [tex]\frac{2x}{x+1}[/tex]
This is the same as 2 + (-2)/(x + 1), so this is just the translation and stretching of y = 1/x, so is also a hyperbola.
Mentallic said:
or even an asymptote that is a not a line, [tex]\frac{x^3-1}{x}\approx\frac{(x-1)(x^2+x+1)}{x-1}=x^2+x+1, x\neq 1[/tex]. For this function as x gets very large positive or negative, the graph approaches the parabola [itex]y=x^2+x+1[/itex]

Oh yes of course, why did my mind instantly jump to the general form of a hyperbola...?

Yes I'm aware of the second example's translations, but I don't really see why I bothered mentioning it now that you brought it up.

Clearly my brain's still in holiday mode :zzz:

Mentallic said:
Clearly my brain's still in holiday mode :zzz:

Same here, man. Same here. Just started senior year.

SteamKing said:
Well you have access to much more than a single textbook. You can use your computer and google 'hyperbola' or 'conic section'.

True, I have been doing research on the internet. Every time I get on a site, it just wants to talk about those hyperbola's symmetric along the x or y axis. I have a decent understanding of them, just not these like 1/x lol.

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches. It can be horizontal, vertical, or slanted.

2. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of curve that has two branches, formed by the intersection of a plane with a cone when the plane is at an angle to the base of the cone.

3. How are asymptotes and hyperbolas related?

Asymptotes and hyperbolas are related because the asymptotes of a hyperbola are the lines that the curve approaches but never touches as it extends to infinity.

4. How can you determine the equation of the asymptotes of a hyperbola?

The equation of the asymptotes of a hyperbola can be determined by finding the slope of the hyperbola's branches and using that slope to write the equation in slope-intercept form.

5. What is the significance of asymptotes in the graph of a hyperbola?

Asymptotes are important in the graph of a hyperbola because they help define the shape and behavior of the curve. They also act as a visual guide for the direction in which the curve will continue to extend.