How to Express the force as a Cartesian vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the components of a force. The speaker shares their answer and asks for clarification on their method. It is determined that their initial approach was incorrect, and the correct method involves using formulas to find the components. The final answer is 250i - 354j - 250k, obtained by using the formulas Fx = Fcos(alpha), Fy = Fcos(beta), and Fz = Fcos(gamma).
JON123
I am having trouble solving this problem, I also have it attached:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/John123321_bucket/Capture.png

Here is a short version of how I got my answers, but it says it’s wrong:

X=500cos(30)=433N

i= 433sin(45)=306.2
j=-433cos(45)=-306.0
k=-500sin(60)=-250

If you can, please explain what I’m doing wrong, thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,614
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
JON123 said:
I am having trouble solving this problem, I also have it attached:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t193/John123321_bucket/Capture.png

Here is a short version of how I got my answers, but it says it’s wrong:

X=500cos(30)=433N

i= 433sin(45)=306.2
j=-433cos(45)=-306.0
k=-500sin(60)=-250

If you can, please explain what I’m doing wrong, thanks.
You can tell that the answer is wrong immediately as the highlighted line would suggest that F has a component in the negative z-direction. However, if you refer to the picture, it is clear that F acts "upwards" rather than "downwards". I would also check the angle (it shouldn't be sin(60).

P.S. Homework style questions should be posted in the Homework forums. I have asked that your thread be moved there by the mentors. Please make sure that your post you homework questions in the appropriate forum as it will help you get your questions answered more quickly.

Thanks for the reply. The force is acting in the negative direction because it's 60 degrees from the negative z-axis, meaning that it's 30 degrees bellow the x&y-axis. And I just had a typo on the third line, it was supposed to be k=-500cos(60)=-250 giving me the z-component. I did figure out the answer and it was 250i-354j-250k. I got it using 500sin(30)i-500cos(45)j-500cos(60)k. I was just wondering if this is the right way to setup the problem.

JON123 said:
Thanks for the reply. The force is acting in the negative direction because it's 60 degrees from the negative z-axis, meaning that it's 30 degrees bellow the x&y-axis. And I just had a typo on the third line, it was supposed to be k=-500cos(60)=-250 giving me the z-component. I did figure out the answer and it was 250i-354j-250k. I got it using 500sin(30)i-500cos(45)j-500cos(60)k. I was just wondering if this is the right way to setup the problem.
Apologies, I misread the figure.

JON123 said:
Explain how you came up with 500 sin 30 for the x-component.

I figured out how to solve the problem, and i see what i was doing wrong. I came up with the 500cos(30) by going at the problem backwards because I had found out the answer from someone, but i see that's not the right way to get the answer. I solved it by using the formulas:
Fx=Fcos(alpha)
Fy=Fcos(beta)
Fx=Fcos(gamma)

Because i didn't have alpha for Fx, i found Fy & Fz and used the magnitude to solve for Fx. F=sqr(Fx^2+Fy^2+Fz^2) -> Fx=sqrt(500^2-Fy^2+Fz^2)

1. What is a Cartesian vector?

A Cartesian vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity, such as force, that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force.

2. How do you express a force as a Cartesian vector?

To express a force as a Cartesian vector, you need to determine the magnitude and direction of the force. The magnitude can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The direction of the force can be determined by using a coordinate system and identifying the angle of the force in relation to the axes.

3. What is the difference between a Cartesian vector and a polar vector?

A Cartesian vector and a polar vector are both mathematical representations of physical quantities, but they differ in how they are expressed. A Cartesian vector uses a coordinate system to represent the magnitude and direction of the vector, while a polar vector uses a magnitude and an angle to represent the vector.

4. Can a force be expressed as a Cartesian vector in any direction?

Yes, a force can be expressed as a Cartesian vector in any direction. This is because the magnitude and direction of the force can be calculated and represented using a coordinate system, allowing for flexibility in the direction of the vector.

5. Why is it important to express a force as a Cartesian vector?

Expressing a force as a Cartesian vector allows for a more accurate and precise representation of the force. This is especially important in scientific studies and applications, as it allows for easier calculations and predictions of the resulting motion or effects of the force.