Understanding Exponential Growth in a*bcx Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the function of each parameter in a model, specifically a*bcx. The movement of the graph is affected by the values of a, b, and c, and can be stretched or compressed in relation to the x or y axis. The term "exponential" may not be accurate when describing these transformations. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a graphing program to visualize the changes in the graph.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am explaining the function of each parameter in my model:

a*bcx

Are these correct?

I said that as a changes the graph is stretched parallel to the y axis.

The movement takes place when we change b and c but I said the growth is exponential... Is that the correct term? Because, for example, if double the value of b the output is quadrupled.

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

a*bcx

Are these correct?

I said that as a changes the graph is stretched parallel to the y axis.
Relative to the graph of y = bcx, a*bcx will be expanded away from the x-axis if a > 1, or compressed toward the x-axis, if 0 < a < 1. If a < 0, there is also a reflection across the x-axis.
Peter G. said:
The movement takes place when we change b and c but I said the growth is exponential... Is that the correct term? Because, for example, if double the value of b the output is quadrupled.

More generally, if y = f(x), the graph of y = af(x) is as explained above. The graph of y = f(cx) will be compressed toward the y-axis, if c > 1, and expanded away from the y-axis, if 0 < c < 1. If c < 0, there is a reflection across the y-axis.

Hi,

I was using this graphing program that allows me to use a slider to shift the graph. I was trying to increase the value of a and as I increased it, it moved towards the x axis, eventually even crossing it.

I agree with the transformations for c you mentioned (do they apply for b too?) but I still don't know if saying that it is compressed or expanded exponentially is correct.

Thanks once again

Peter G. said:
Hi,

I was using this graphing program that allows me to use a slider to shift the graph. I was trying to increase the value of a and as I increased it, it moved towards the x axis, eventually even crossing it.
I don't see how this can happen. What function were you graphing? The transformations I was talking about aren't shifts: they are called stretches or compressions. A shift (or translation) is where you move the graph left or right or up or down.

Unless there's a vertical translation involved, an exponential function cannot cross the horizontal axis.
Peter G. said:
I agree with the transformations for c you mentioned (do they apply for b too?) but I still don't know if saying that it is compressed or expanded exponentially is correct.
b is the base of your exponential function, so what I said doesn't apply. I didn't say compressed/expanded exponentially. You should omit that word in what you're doing.

What I said before about the graph of y = f(cx) is correct.

For example, if y = f(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], the graph of f(2x) is a compression toward the y-axis by a factor of 2. The point (1, 1) on the original graph is now at (1/2, 1), and similar for all other points.

The graph of y = f(x/3) is a stretch away from the y-axis by a factor of 3. The point (4, 2) on the original graph is now at (12, 2).

Ok, I got it now. But for the value of a, check this out:

Let's consider the equation: 2^x.

When x = 2, y = 4.
Now, if we plot:

2*2^x

When x = 2, y = 8

So, don't you agree that the graph would increase more rapidly, therefore be stretched parallel to the y-axis? Be compressed towards the x axis.

(P.S: I'm not trying to argue with you, I know you are a far, far better mathematician than I am :redface: but I don't know, this seems to make sense to me!)

Last edited:
Peter G. said:
Ok, I got it now. But for the value of a, check this out:

Let's consider the equation: 2^x.

When x = 2, y = 4.
Now, if we plot:

2*2^x

When x = 2, y = 8

So, don't you agree that the graph would increase more rapidly, therefore be stretched parallel to the y-axis? Be compressed towards the x axis.
No, I don't agree, but I can see why you're thinking as you are. For your example, relative to the graph of y = 2^x, each y value on the graph of y = 2* 2^x is now doubled, hence all of the points are twice as far away from the x-axis. So to get the graph of y = 2*2^x, we are expanding the points on y = 2^x away from the x-axis by a factor of 2.

An example that is easier to see is the equation y = 3*sin(x). Each point on the graph of the base function, y = sin(x) is now 3 times as far from the x-axis. The graph of y = 3*sin(x) has been stretched away from (expanded away from) the x-axis by a factor of 3.

Nit: 2^x is not an equation - it's a function. The equation would be y = 2^x.

Peter G. said:
(P.S: I'm not trying to argue with you, I know you are a far, far better mathematician than I am :redface: but I don't know, this seems to make sense to me!)

Peter G. said:

a*bcx

You might find it informative to plot log(a*bcx) versus x and examine that as you change the parameters. The graph will be a straight line (not usually horizontal). If will have a defined slope, and a vertical offset, etc., all directly related to the parameters you are discussing. It is an easy way to fit a curve to your raw data.

1. What is an exponential growth model?

An exponential growth model is a mathematical representation of a process that increases at an exponential rate, meaning that the growth rate of the process is proportional to the current value. This results in a rapid and accelerating increase over time.

2. How is an exponential growth model different from a linear growth model?

An exponential growth model is different from a linear growth model because it shows a constant percentage increase over time, while a linear growth model shows a constant numerical increase. This means that the rate of change in an exponential growth model increases over time, while the rate of change in a linear growth model remains constant.

3. What is the significance of the variables a, b, c, and x in the a*bcx model?

The variable a represents the initial value or starting point of the growth, b represents the growth rate, c represents the growth factor, and x represents the time or number of periods elapsed. These variables are used to calculate the value of the function at any given point in time.

4. How can the a*bcx model be applied in real-life situations?

The a*bcx model can be applied in various real-life situations such as population growth, compound interest, and spread of diseases. It can also be used to analyze the growth of businesses, investments, and technological advancements.

5. What are some limitations of the a*bcx model?

Some limitations of the a*bcx model include assuming a constant growth rate, not accounting for external factors that may affect the growth, and not accurately predicting long-term growth. Additionally, the model may not apply to all types of growth, such as exponential decay.