Improve Your Math Skills: Take Math Competition Tests From Your School

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the person in the conversation wants to improve their algebra skills by practicing old math competition tests. They also request suggestions for other sources to improve their skills. One of the old tests mentioned is the Harvard entry examination from 1869. The conversation also includes a discussion about solving a specific problem involving perfect cubes and finding the sum of three distinct integers.
Miike012
I consider my math skills to be decent.. probably top 5% in class. Anyways, I wanted to increase my math skills by looking at old math competition tests from my school and I noticed that I am probably only comfortable with 10% of them if that. This showed me that I need to increase my algebra skills...
And obviously school textbooks will not help because competition tests have much harder problems and do not prepare students for problems like that... so can some one sugest something...
I really want to improve.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an old math competition test paper for Algebra (the Harvard entry examination from 1869).

Attachments

• Harvard Algebra.JPG
    Harvard Algebra.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 394
Those problems don't look as hard..

Here is an old one from 2009
http://www.mesacc.edu/~aavilez/mathclub/mathcontest/2008spring.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
But are there any sources that can help me improve my algebra?

Zryn said:
Here is an old math competition test paper for Algebra (the Harvard entry examination from 1869).

Very droll. Love it !

Miike012 said:
Here is an old one from 2009
http://www.mesacc.edu/~aavilez/mathclub/mathcontest/2008spring.pdf

This test is as much for your Spatial awareness and logic skills as algebra!

Last edited by a moderator:
How would number 3 be solved?

??

Miike012 said:

Well it would help if you were familiar with the perfect cubes

many students know these up to 1000, the 10th

113 is so easy to calculate -or simple recall - as the lower powers of 11 just mimic the pascal triangle, and the rule for multiplying by 11 is so simple,

133 is easily to be shown to be bigger than 2000, so that, and any number bigger is out of the question, you can simply select the three that work.

of course 23 + 103 + 103 = 2008 but two of them are the same.

Miike012 said:

Since all of the constants are even integers, we can represent them as

[tex](2x)^3+(2y)^3+(2z)^3=2008[/tex]

where x and y are some integers, thus we have a factor of 8 that we can divide by, yielding

[tex]x^3+y^3+z^3=251[/tex]

And now this is much more manageable. Let's make a table of the cubes:

13=1
23=8
33=27
43=64
53=125
63=216

And evidently 73>251 so our (x,y,z) will be a combination of the first 6 integers.
Now we can either takes stabs in the dark or we can do it in a slightly more algorithmic process. If we fix one of the integers to be 6, then all we need to do is check x3+y3=251-63=35 and the sum of two distinct cubes (with each integer being up to 5) is much more manageable. Luckily, it is quite obvious that (2,3) solves this, so our (x,y,z) that solves the equation is (2,3,6) and thus a+b+c=2(2+3+6)=22.

1. How can taking math competition tests improve my math skills?

Taking math competition tests can improve your math skills by providing you with challenging problems that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These tests often cover a wide range of topics and require you to apply various mathematical concepts, thus helping you improve your overall understanding of math.

2. Is it necessary to take math competition tests from my school in order to improve my math skills?

No, it is not necessary to take math competition tests from your school specifically. You can also participate in local or national math competitions, or even practice with past competition tests from other schools. The important thing is to expose yourself to challenging math problems and actively work on improving your skills.

3. What strategies can I use to prepare for math competition tests?

One strategy is to practice with past competition tests and identify areas where you need improvement. You can also work on developing your problem-solving skills and familiarizing yourself with different mathematical concepts. Additionally, participating in study groups or seeking help from a math tutor can also be beneficial.

4. Can taking math competition tests help me in my academic studies?

Yes, taking math competition tests can definitely help you in your academic studies. By challenging yourself with difficult math problems, you can improve your understanding of mathematical concepts and develop problem-solving skills that can be applied to your schoolwork. Additionally, participating in math competitions can also boost your confidence and motivation in math.

5. Are there any other benefits to taking math competition tests?

Aside from improving your math skills, taking math competition tests can also help you develop time management skills, as most competitions have a time limit. It can also provide opportunities for recognition and scholarships, as well as help you build a strong resume for college or future job applications. Moreover, participating in math competitions can be a fun and engaging way to learn and challenge yourself in a subject that you may not have thought was interesting before.