Related Rates Problem: 13m Ladder Leaning Against Wall

In summary, the conversation is about verifying an answer to a question involving a ladder leaning against a wall and its movement. The answer involves using Pythagoras' equation and differentiating it implicitly, resulting in a value of 5/6 m/s. Another method was also mentioned, using a formula for dh/db.
raoulduke1
Could someone verify my answer for this question?

13m ladder is leaning against a wall.
If the top of the ladder slips down the wall at a rate of 2m/s.
How fast will the foot be moving away from the wall when the top is 5m from the ground?

My answer:

use pythagoras to set up equation x^2 + y^2 = 13^2

Then I differentiate this implicitly and get the equation 2x dx/dt + 2y dy/t = 0

Then I fill in the values and get 5/6 m/s.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. I did it another way though, using a formula for dh/db.

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This is typically done by using derivatives and the chain rule.

2. How do I solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you must first identify the variables involved and determine how they are related. Then, you can use the appropriate formula or equation to find the derivative and solve for the desired rate of change.

3. What are some common real-world applications of related rates?

Related rates problems are often used in physics and engineering to model real-world situations involving changing quantities, such as the volume of a liquid in a tank or the velocity of a moving object.

4. What is the significance of the chain rule in related rates problems?

The chain rule is essential in solving related rates problems because it allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, where one variable is changing with respect to another variable.

5. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, an example of a related rates problem could be finding the rate at which the radius of a circle is changing at a specific point in time, given the rate at which the area of the circle is changing.