How can the Taylor series help prove the limit of cosine?

In summary: The limit of a sum is the sum of the limit only of both limits exists right? But the second one clearly is +\infty and that isn't a real number, so that theorem does not apply, am I right now?
Damidami
I have to prove that
[tex] \cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2} + O(x^4)[/tex] [tex] (x \to 0) [/tex]

My ugly attempt:
[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos(x) - 1 + \frac{x^2}{2}}{x^4}[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos(x) - 1}{x^4} + \frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{4x^3} + \frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{4x^2} + \frac{1}{2x^2}[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{4x^2} + \frac{2}{4x^2} = \frac{3}{4x^2} = \infty [/tex] (It should be a finite number)

Something does not work here, any help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the Taylor series with remainder theorem?

LCKurtz said:
Have you looked at the Taylor series with remainder theorem?

Hi LCKurtz,
I was searching an alternative (and elementary) way to prove it (otherwise there is nothing to prove, right?)

My thought was: It should work using L'Hopital some finite numer of times, doesn't it? I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

Damidami said:
Hi LCKurtz,
I was searching an alternative (and elementary) way to prove it (otherwise there is nothing to prove, right?)

My thought was: It should work using L'Hopital some finite numer of times, doesn't it? I don't know what am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

Yes, you can do it that way:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\cos(x)-1+\frac{x^2}{2}}{x^4}
=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{-\sin(x)+x}{4x^3}[/tex]

and keep going as long as you have 0/0 form. You get 1/24 eventually.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, you can do it that way:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\cos(x)-1+\frac{x^2}{2}}{x^4}
=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{-\sin(x)+x}{4x^3}[/tex]

and keep going as long as you have 0/0 form. You get 1/24 eventually.

You are completely right! Thanks!

I think my mistake was in the second step:

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\cos(x) - 1}{x^4} + \frac{1}{2x^2} [/tex]

The limit of a sum is the sum of the limit only of both limits exists right? But the second one clearly is [tex] +\infty [/tex] and that isn't a real number, so that theorem does not apply, am I right now?

Thanks!

1. What is a Big O Taylor series truncate?

A Big O Taylor series truncate is a mathematical method used to approximate a function by representing it as an infinite polynomial series. The "Big O" refers to the order of the error term, which decreases as more terms are added to the series. The truncate aspect means that only a certain number of terms are used in the approximation, making it more manageable for calculations.

2. How is a Big O Taylor series truncate different from a regular Taylor series?

A regular Taylor series includes an infinite number of terms, whereas a Big O Taylor series truncate only includes a finite number of terms. This makes it a more practical and efficient method for approximating functions, as it avoids the need for complex calculations.

3. Can a Big O Taylor series truncate accurately represent any function?

No, a Big O Taylor series truncate can only accurately represent functions that are analytic, meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series. Functions that are not analytic, such as piecewise functions, cannot be accurately represented by a Big O Taylor series truncate.

4. How do you determine the number of terms to use in a Big O Taylor series truncate?

The number of terms to use in a Big O Taylor series truncate is determined by the desired level of accuracy. Generally, the more terms that are used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, adding more terms can also increase the complexity of the calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Big O Taylor series truncate?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using a Big O Taylor series truncate. As mentioned before, it can only accurately represent analytic functions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for functions with large intervals of convergence or functions with singularities. It is important to consider these limitations when using a Big O Taylor series truncate for approximating a function.