HelpStrain gauge in triaxial axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a device that can sense force in three axes (x, y, z) using strain gauges. The problem is ensuring that the strain gauges only sense the force from the corresponding axis and not from other axes. The suggestion is to use a lineal strain gauge perpendicular to the x-axis to prevent interference from other axes.
pearjal
hi guys...
i need ur help...
i have to design a device that can sense a force in triaxial axis which are x,y,z.
the straing gauge is located at x,y,z axis also.
my problem is, for example if the force come from x axis,i don't want the y,z strain gauge sense the reaction, i just want x-axis strain gauge can sense for force that come from x-axis and vice versa...
basicly is like weight machine,but i just want to make in 3axis...
thanx for ur cooperation...

Engineering news on Phys.org
you can put a lineal strain gauge perpendicular to x and the gauge can not sense for force that come from x-axis

1. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. It typically consists of a thin, flexible wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object and changes resistance when the object is strained. This change in resistance can be measured and used to calculate the amount of strain on the object.

2. What is the purpose of a strain gauge in a triaxial axis?

In a triaxial axis, a strain gauge is used to measure the strain in three different directions - typically, x, y, and z axes. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the deformation of an object, rather than just in one specific direction. This information can be used to analyze the structural integrity or performance of the object.

3. How does a strain gauge work in a triaxial axis?

A strain gauge works by converting mechanical strain into an electrical signal. In a triaxial axis, three strain gauges are typically used - one for each axis. As the object is strained, the resistance of each gauge changes, and this change is measured and converted into an electrical signal. The signals from all three gauges can then be combined to determine the overall strain in the object.

4. What are some common applications of a strain gauge in a triaxial axis?

Strain gauges in triaxial axes are commonly used in engineering and scientific research to measure the deformation and stress of structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft. They are also used in geotechnical engineering to monitor the stability of soil and rock formations, and in biomechanical studies to measure the strain on bones and muscles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a strain gauge in a triaxial axis?

Like any measurement device, there are some limitations to using a strain gauge in a triaxial axis. These include the sensitivity of the gauge, potential for errors due to temperature changes, and the need for precise calibration. Additionally, strain gauges can only measure strain in a single point, so multiple gauges may be needed to get a complete understanding of the deformation of an object.