Proving Polynomial Irreducibility over Z

• Thread starter Discover85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: Ok, the minimum thing works. That's also really clever! I can see how that works by substituting a value like x=n-1/2. How does using derivatives prove it more easily? Doesn't have much to do with Eisenstein's criterion, does it?
Discover85

Homework Statement

Prove that the polynomial $(x-1)(x-2)...(x-n) + 1$ is irreducible over Z for n\geq 1 and n \neq 4

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let $f(x) = (x-1)(x-2) \cdots (x-n) + 1$ and suppose $f(x) = h(x)g(x)$ for some $h,g \in \mathbb{Z}[x]$ where $\deg(h), \deg(g) < n$. Note that $f(x) = 1$ for $x \in (1,2,\ldots,n)$ and so $h(x)g(x) = 1$ for $x \in (1,2,\ldots,n)$. This implies that $h(x) = \pm 1$ and $g(x) = \pm 1$ for those $x$ values. Moreover, we must have $g(x) - h(x) = 0$. Since a polynomial of degree $m$ is determined by $m+1$ points we have that $h(x) = g(x)~\forall x$. This implies that $f(x) = g(x)^2$. Now consider $f(n+1) = g(n+1)^2$. We have that $n! + 1 = j^2$ where $j \in \mathbb{Z}$. I feel like I'm close but don't know where to go from here... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's really very clever. You've reduced it to Brocard's problem. The trouble is that you've reduced it to a really hard problem. The known solutions are that 4!+1, 5!+1 and 7!+1 are perfect squares. But whether there are more is still, as far as I know, an open question. BTW you don't have to worry about 5 or 7. n!+1=j^2 isn't quite the right equation. You really only have to worry about n even. Maybe that has an easier solution??

Dick said:
That's really very clever. You've reduced it to Brocard's problem. The trouble is that you've reduced it to a really hard problem. The known solutions are that 4!+1, 5!+1 and 7!+1 are perfect squares. But whether there are more is still, as far as I know, an open question. BTW you don't have to worry about 5 or 7. n!+1=j^2 isn't quite the right equation. You really only have to worry about n even. Maybe that has an easier solution??

Yeah, I realized I had reduced it to something fairly ugly when I was using Wolfram and found 7! + 1 fit the bill. I don't know if this helps but this question was posed under the Eisenstiens Criterion section.

Discover85 said:
Yeah, I realized I had reduced it to something fairly ugly when I was using Wolfram and found 7! + 1 fit the bill. I don't know if this helps but this question was posed under the Eisenstiens Criterion section.

Well, 7!+1 is a perfect square but that's still not an exception to irreducibility since you would need -7!+1 to be a perfect square. And it's not. You've got a sign missing in the n!+1=j^2 criterion. Odd values of n are really no problem. It's the even ones I'm worried about. And I've been scratching my head over this for a while and I don't know what to do with it. A trick you can sometimes pull with the Eisenstein Criterion is that p(x) is irreducible iff p(x+k) is irreducible for every integer k. But I'm not getting that to go anywhere either. Maybe it's just late and I'm thinking the wrong way about it. You try again and we'll compare notes.

From my proof we know that for n<4 the polygon is irreducible since n! + 1 != m^2. As for n>5, you can take the derivative and show that the polygon has a minimum less than 0. This contradicts the fact that f(x) = g(x)^2. Thus n = 4.

Discover85 said:
From my proof we know that for n<4 the polygon is irreducible since n! + 1 != m^2. As for n>5, you can take the derivative and show that the polygon has a minimum less than 0. This contradicts the fact that f(x) = g(x)^2. Thus n = 4.

Ok, the minimum thing works. That's also really clever! I can see how that works by substituting a value like x=n-1/2. How does using derivatives prove it more easily? Doesn't have much to do with Eisenstein's criterion, does it?

Last edited:

1. What is polynomial irreducibility over Z?

Polynomial irreducibility over Z refers to determining whether a polynomial with integer coefficients can be factored into polynomials with smaller degrees and integer coefficients. A polynomial is considered irreducible over Z if it cannot be factored in this way.

2. Why is proving polynomial irreducibility over Z important?

Proving polynomial irreducibility over Z is important in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and abstract algebra. It is also a fundamental concept in polynomial factorization and finding roots of polynomials.

3. What are some methods for proving polynomial irreducibility over Z?

One method for proving polynomial irreducibility over Z is the Rational Root Theorem, which states that any rational roots of a polynomial with integer coefficients must be in the form of a fraction whose numerator is a factor of the constant term and whose denominator is a factor of the leading coefficient. Another method is the Eisenstein's Criterion, which states that if a polynomial has a prime number that divides all coefficients except the leading one, and the prime squared does not divide the constant term, then the polynomial is irreducible over Z.

4. Can a polynomial be irreducible over Z but reducible over other fields?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible over Z but reducible over other fields. For example, the polynomial x^2 + 1 is irreducible over Z but can be factored into (x+i)(x-i) over the field of complex numbers.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with proving polynomial irreducibility over Z?

Yes, there are various tools and software that can assist with proving polynomial irreducibility over Z. Some examples include Wolfram Alpha, Maple, and SageMath. These tools can quickly determine the irreducibility of a polynomial and provide a step-by-step explanation of the proof.