Color of gluon mediating quark-antiquark process?

In summary, the conversation discusses a process involving quarks and antiquarks with different color charges. The question is which gluon(s) can participate in this exchange. The answer is that the mediating gluon can be BˉB or RBˉ, depending on the color conservation principle.
Stalafin
I have the following process:
[itex]q(R) + \bar{q}(\bar{B}) \rightarrow q(R)+\bar{q}(\bar{B})[/itex]

In words: a quark with red color-charge and an antiquark with an anti-blue color-charge are incoming, and a red quark and anti-blue antiquark are emerging. Since I am not sure how else to draw that, I try to do some ASCII art here:
Code:
q(R)          q(R)
   1\           3/
     \          /
      \        /
       \      /
          ~
          ~ G (?,?)
          ~
          ~
        /   \
       /     \
      /       \
    2/        4\
q-(B-)      q-(B-)

----------------------> t
q are the quarks, q- the antiquarks, R is red, B- is antiblue, time runs from left to right.

The question is: which gluon(s) can participate in this exchange?

I have read Griffiths "Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" on that topic and on p.290 Example 8.1 he more or less states exactly that problem. He talks about a "typical octet state" [itex]R\bar{B}[/itex]. What is that supposed to mean? I thought the octet states are always a superposition of two states, in this case:
[tex]|1\rangle = (R\bar{B} + B\bar{R})/\sqrt{2}[/tex]

I was thinking along the lines of color conservation. The only thing that made sense to me is that the mediating gluon has to be [itex]B\bar{B}[/itex]: the incoming red quark sends out a [itex]B\bar{B}[/itex] pair. The incoming anti-blue antiquark combines with the blue charge, and what remains is an anti-blue charge... But I somewhat feel that this logic is flawed. :(

What's the right answer here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just q(R)+qˉ(Bˉ) → g(RBˉ) → q(R)+qˉ(Bˉ)?

1. What is the color of gluon?

The color of gluon is not a physical color like red, blue, or green. It is a property that describes the strong nuclear force between quarks. Gluons have three different "colors" - red, green, and blue, which can combine to form a neutral colorless state.

2. How does the color of gluon affect the quark-antiquark process?

The color of gluon plays a crucial role in the strong interaction between quarks. Gluons carry the color charge and mediate the force between quarks, holding them together to form composite particles such as protons and neutrons. The exchange of gluons also allows for the creation and annihilation of quark-antiquark pairs.

3. Can the color of gluon change?

Yes, the color of gluon can change through the process of gluon fusion, where two gluons can combine to form a new gluon with a different color charge. This is one of the ways in which the strong nuclear force can transfer energy between particles.

4. How does the color of gluon relate to the concept of confinement?

The color of gluon is closely related to the concept of confinement, which states that quarks cannot exist in isolation due to the strong force between them. The color charge of gluons creates a strong attraction between quarks, making it impossible for them to exist independently and be observed as free particles.

5. Is there an experimental evidence for the color of gluon?

Yes, there is experimental evidence for the color of gluon. This can be seen in the behavior of particle collisions at high energies, where the strong force becomes dominant. The exchange of gluons and the strong interaction between quarks can be observed through the production of new particles, such as mesons and baryons.