Calc III : Spaceship reaching a space station at constant velocity.

In summary: The results are: r'''(t)=v'(t)+at and r'(t)=v(t)+atIn summary, the captain wants the spaceship to reach the space station in constant velocity, but when should the engines be turned off? The engines should be turned off when the dot product of r'(t) and v'(t) is greater than k. This can be solved when the spaceship is operating in a gravity field with a value of at.
mimzy

Homework Statement

The Position Function of a spaceship is
r(t) = (5t+9)i+(2t2-1)j+t2k
and the coordinates of a space station are P(54,89,45). The captain wants the spaceship to reach the space station in constant velocity. When should the engines be turned off?

Homework Equations

r'(t) = v(t)= <5,4t,2t>

and

r''(t) = v'(t)= a(t) <0,4,2>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the dot product of a(t) * [P-v(t)] but that doesn't work :l I also thought of finding the angle of the tangent vector that shots towards P in order to find the time but I end up confusing myself afterwards D;

Physics news on Phys.org
mimzy said:

Homework Statement

The Position Function of a spaceship is
r(t) = (5t+9)i+(2t2-1)j+t2k
and the coordinates of a space station are P(54,89,45). The captain wants the spaceship to reach the space station in constant velocity. When should the engines be turned off?

Homework Equations

r'(t) = v(t)= <5,4t,2t>

and

r''(t) = v'(t)= a(t) <0,4,2>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the dot product of a(t) * [P-v(t)] but that doesn't work :l I also thought of finding the angle of the tangent vector that shots towards P in order to find the time but I end up confusing myself afterwards D;

Your second idea is the right one. You want the vector between the ship and the station to be parallel to the velocity of the ship with the velocity vector pointing at the station. Then you can shut the engine off and then just cruise in. So you want to solve [P-r(t)]=k*v(t) with a value of k>0.

What kind of gravity field is the ship operating in? ;-)

OK ignore that. But it does seem to me that the x ordinate implies a definite value of t that we need to arrive at. I haven't pursued the rest of the equations to find out if there is one time we can turn off acceleration in both y and z directions, or whether they require separate treatment.

Joffan said:
What kind of gravity field is the ship operating in? ;-)

OK ignore that. But it does seem to me that the x ordinate implies a definite value of t that we need to arrive at. I haven't pursued the rest of the equations to find out if there is one time we can turn off acceleration in both y and z directions, or whether they require separate treatment.

You are over complicating it. This question is rigged to give you a simple solution for a value of t to set the acceleration to zero.

Well, Dick, I feel it's good practice to work the two axes out separately, and we are in the Calculus+ section. But now I've actually done the working, I see what you mean - but only once I had the same quadratics in both y & z cases.

For mimzy: I set a tc for the cutoff time and recast the equations using that (and your velocity information). If I'd had to, I would have had a ta for arrival as well, but that wasn't necessary in this case.

What is Calc III?

Calc III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single variable calculus to functions with multiple variables, such as space and time.

What is a spaceship reaching a space station at constant velocity?

This is a scenario in which a spaceship is traveling towards a space station at a constant speed and direction. This means that the spaceship maintains the same velocity, or rate of change of position, throughout its journey.

What is the relevance of this scenario in Calc III?

In Calc III, we study the motion of objects in three-dimensional space using vectors and vector-valued functions. The scenario of a spaceship reaching a space station at constant velocity allows us to apply the concepts of velocity, acceleration, and position vectors in a real-world context.

What are some key concepts in Calc III that are related to this scenario?

Some key concepts include vector algebra, vector calculus, parametric equations, and derivatives and integrals of vector-valued functions. These concepts are used to analyze the motion of the spaceship and determine its position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

What are some practical applications of this scenario in the real world?

The scenario of a spaceship reaching a space station at constant velocity has many practical applications, such as in aerospace engineering, astronomy, and navigation. It also helps us understand the motion of objects in space and how to calculate their trajectories, which is crucial for space exploration and satellite missions.