Finding an Unknown Resistance of circuit

In summary: Hi SMA777! No, the Req you found (for switches closed) gives you I = V/Req for the current next to the battery …That current will split before going through the ammeter, won't it? :wink:Oh, I see what you mean about how it splits up! Ok, got it. My question is, how do I know... how it splits up? IE how much goes to Runknown and how much to R1? Is the sum of their currents = total?(just got up :zzz: …)… Is the sum of their currents = total?Yes, from KCL.
SMA777

Homework Statement

In the circuit in the figure below, the reading of the ammeter is the same when both switches are open and when both switches are closed. What is the unknown resistance R? (Let R1 = 103 Ω, R2 = 279 Ω, and R3 = 46.0 Ω.)

25-p-084-alt.gif

Homework Equations

Adding Resistance in Series: R1 + R2 = Req
Adding Resistance in Parallel: 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Req
V = IR ... I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe you have to find the resistance in both cases, switch open and closed, and then set them equal because I = V/R is equal in both cases, so R must be equal, since V doesn't change (always 1.5).

For switch OPEN, I got: Req,open = R2 + R1 + R3
For switch CLOSED, I got: Req, closed = R2 + (1/R1 + 1/Runknown)^-1

I set these equal and solved for Ruknown and got 316.8, but that isn't right. Any tips? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA777 said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit in the figure below, the reading of the ammeter is the same when both switches are open and when both switches are closed. What is the unknown resistance R? (Let R1 = 103 Ω, R2 = 279 Ω, and R3 = 46.0 Ω.)

25-p-084-alt.gif

Homework Equations

Adding Resistance in Series: R1 + R2 = Req
Adding Resistance in Parallel: 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Req
V = IR ... I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe you have to find the resistance in both cases, switch open and closed, and then set them equal because I = V/R is equal in both cases, so R must be equal, since V doesn't change (always 1.5).

For switch OPEN, I got: Req,open = R2 + R1 + R3

I set these equal and solved for Ruknown and got 316.8, but that isn't right. Any tips? Thank you!

What remains the same in both cases is the current through R1 (as measured by the ammeter). So I'd suggest first determining what that current is when the switches are both open. Also determine the voltage that will appear across R1.

Next draw a sketch of the circuit that results when the switches are closed (are any components bypassed and hence removed from the circuit?). Add the voltage and current you determined above to the sketch -- the current through the ammeter and hence the voltage across R1 should remain the same as before. Remember that an ideal ammeter has no resistance, hence no voltage drop will appear across it. Can you find the remaining currents?

Hi SMA777! :smile:
SMA777 said:

I set these equal …

No, the Req you found (for switches closed) gives you I = V/Req for the current next to the battery …

that current will split before going through the ammeter, won't it? :wink:

Oh, I see what you mean about how it splits up! Ok, got it. My question is, how do I know... how it splits up? IE how much goes to Runknown and how much to R1? Is the sum of their currents = total?

(just got up :zzz: …)
SMA777 said:
… Is the sum of their currents = total?

Yes, from KCL.

Then use KVL for the loop containing just R1 and R. :smile:

1. How do I find the unknown resistance of a circuit?

To find the unknown resistance of a circuit, you can use Ohm's law which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. You will need to measure the voltage and current in the circuit using a multimeter and then substitute the values into the equation.

2. What equipment do I need to find the unknown resistance of a circuit?

You will need a multimeter, which is a device used to measure voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. You may also need a power supply to provide a known voltage to the circuit.

3. Can I find the unknown resistance of a circuit using only a voltmeter?

No, a voltmeter measures voltage but not current. To calculate resistance, you need both voltage and current measurements.

4. Is it possible to find the unknown resistance of a circuit without using any equipment?

No, you need some form of equipment, such as a multimeter, to measure voltage and current in the circuit in order to calculate the resistance.

5. How accurate are the measurements when finding the unknown resistance of a circuit?

The accuracy of the measurements depends on the accuracy of the equipment used and the precision of the measurement technique. It is important to use high-quality equipment and follow proper measurement procedures to obtain the most accurate results.