Rate of Noise in Three Sensors

In summary, the rate of false signals between two sensors with noise rates R_{A} and R_{B} is R_{AB}^{noise}=2R_{A}R_{B}\tau. If a third sensor is introduced, the rate of false signals becomes R_{ABC}^{noise}=0.
McCoy13

Homework Statement

Suppose you have two sensors with rates of noise [itex]R_{A}^{noise}[/itex] and [itex]R_{B}^{noise}[/itex]. Suppose an erroneous signal occurs if the two sensors have a noise trigger within time [itex]\tau[/itex] of each other. Show that the rate of false signals is [itex]R_{AB}^{noise}=2R_{A}^{noise}R_{B}^{noise}\tau[/itex]. How does this change if a third sensor is introduced?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I will now drop the noise superscripts for convenience. Also note that the rates above are constants, and do not vary in time.

The probability that each sensor has a false signal in a time dt is obviously R*dt. So the probability that they both fire ought to be [itex]R_{A}R_{B}dtds[/itex]. We are interested in number of counts per time, so we will need to take an integral to bring probability to counts and a time derivative to get a rate.

[tex]R_{AB}=\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}R_{A}R_{B}dsdt = R_{A}R_{B}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}ds = R_{A}R_{B}2\tau[/tex]

So for three sensors I do the analogous thing, presuming I got the above right. Here's the catch - I'm not sure what do with the integral limits.

[tex]R_{ABC}=\frac{d}{dt}\int \int R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}dudsdt[/tex]

My only guess is that the first integral is integrated to the next integral's variable.

[tex]R_{ABC}=\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau} \int^{s}_{-s} R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}dudsdt = R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}\frac{d}{dt}\int^{\tau}_{-\tau}2sdsdt = R_{A}R_{B}R_{C}[s^{2}]^{\tau}_{-\tau} = 0[/tex]

This is obviously not the correct answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I didn't really do the analogous thing. I still have 3 pure numbers with [itex]R_{A}dtR_{B}dsR_{C}du[/itex], so by dimensional analysis I still only need one integral and one derivative, but what happens to the remaining differential time?

1. What is the rate of noise in three sensors?

The rate of noise in three sensors refers to the amount of unwanted sound or interference that is picked up by three different sensors in a given system. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the data being collected by the sensors.

2. How is the rate of noise measured in three sensors?

The rate of noise in three sensors is typically measured in decibels (dB) or some other unit of sound intensity. This measurement is taken by comparing the signal strength of the desired data to the level of background noise present in the system.

3. What factors can contribute to a high rate of noise in three sensors?

There are several factors that can contribute to a high rate of noise in three sensors, including electromagnetic interference, mechanical vibrations, temperature fluctuations, and poor signal processing techniques. Other external factors such as power supply quality and nearby sources of noise can also play a role.

4. How can the rate of noise in three sensors be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce the rate of noise in three sensors. These include using shielding materials to block out electromagnetic interference, implementing proper grounding techniques, using high-quality components, and optimizing the signal processing algorithms. Careful placement and isolation of the sensors can also help to minimize noise.

5. Why is it important to minimize the rate of noise in three sensors?

Minimizing the rate of noise in three sensors is important because it can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of the data being collected. High levels of noise can lead to distorted or inaccurate readings, which can affect the overall performance and functionality of the system. This is especially crucial in scientific research and other applications where precise and reliable data is essential.