Analyze beats using complex exponentials

• Thread starter Lizwi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving beats in sound and the use of complex algebra to evaluate the sum of two frequencies. The sum can be expressed as the real part of e^(w1t)+e^(w2t) and can be rewritten in terms of p = (w1+w2)/2 and q = (w1-w2)/2.
Lizwi

Homework Statement

Please use the complex algebra to evaluate e^(iω1t)+e^(iω2t), w2 means omega 2?

Homework Equations

Ho do I do this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed this into cos and sine terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
ωelcome to PF!

Hi Lizwi! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thaks, They said: beats occur in sound when two sources emit frequencies that are almost the same. The perceived wave is the sum of the two waves, so that at your ear, the wave is the sum of the two cosines of w1t and w2t...( my w means omega ) use complex algebra two evaluate this. The sum is the real part of e^(w1t)+e^(w2t). notice the two identities w1= (w1+w2)/2 + (w1-w2)/2. Use the complex exponentials to drive the results; dont't just look up some trig identity.

What I did is , because they said the sum is the real part of e^(w1t)+e^(w2t) I wrote this in term of course and sine: (cosw1t + i sinw1t) + (cosw2t + i sinw2t)
(cosw1t + cosw2t) + i (sinw1t + sinw2t)
the real part is cosw1t + cosw2t
Im done!

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Lizwi said:
The sum is the real part of e^(w1t)+e^(w2t). notice the two identities w1= (w1+w2)/2 + (w1-w2)/2. Use the complex exponentials to drive the results; dont't just look up some trig identity.

Im done!

noooo, you're not! :redface:

read the hint

they want you to write the answer in terms of p and q, where p = (w1+w2)/2 and q = (w1-w2)/2

try again :smile:

To analyze beats using complex exponentials, we first need to understand that complex exponentials can be written in the form e^(iωt), where ω represents the angular frequency and t represents time. In this case, we are given two complex exponentials, e^(iω1t) and e^(iω2t), where ω1 and ω2 are two different angular frequencies.

To evaluate the sum of these two complex exponentials, we can use the properties of complex algebra. First, we can use Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x). Using this formula, we can rewrite the two complex exponentials as e^(iω1t) = cos(ω1t) + i sin(ω1t) and e^(iω2t) = cos(ω2t) + i sin(ω2t).

Next, we can use the fact that the sum of two complex numbers is equal to the sum of their real parts plus the sum of their imaginary parts. Applying this to our two complex exponentials, we get e^(iω1t) + e^(iω2t) = (cos(ω1t) + cos(ω2t)) + i (sin(ω1t) + sin(ω2t)).

This is now in the form of a complex number, with a real part and an imaginary part. To evaluate this, we can use the properties of trigonometric functions. For example, we know that cos(x) + cos(y) = 2cos((x+y)/2)cos((x-y)/2). Applying this to our expression, we get e^(iω1t) + e^(iω2t) = 2cos((ω1t+ω2t)/2)cos((ω1t-ω2t)/2) + i2sin((ω1t+ω2t)/2)cos((ω1t-ω2t)/2).

Using similar properties for the sine function, we can further simplify this expression. This will give us a final result in terms of cosines and sines, which can be evaluated for specific values of ω1 and ω2.

In summary, to analyze beats using complex exponentials, we can use the properties of complex algebra and trigonometric functions to simplify the expression and evaluate it for

What is the concept of analyzing beats using complex exponentials?

The concept of analyzing beats using complex exponentials is a method used in signal processing to identify and extract the frequencies present in a signal. It involves breaking down a complex signal into its individual frequency components, using complex exponentials as basis functions.

What are the benefits of using complex exponentials for beat analysis?

Using complex exponentials for beat analysis allows for a more precise and accurate identification of frequencies present in a signal. It also allows for the separation of different frequency components, making it easier to study and analyze them individually.

What are some real-world applications of analyzing beats using complex exponentials?

Some real-world applications of analyzing beats using complex exponentials include audio signal processing, music production, and medical imaging. It can also be used in areas such as radar and sonar technology, where identifying specific frequencies is crucial.

What is the mathematical formula for analyzing beats using complex exponentials?

The mathematical formula for analyzing beats using complex exponentials is known as the Fourier transform. It involves representing a complex signal as a sum of complex exponentials with different frequencies and amplitudes. The inverse Fourier transform can then be used to reconstruct the original signal.

What are some challenges in using complex exponentials for beat analysis?

One challenge in using complex exponentials for beat analysis is the need for precise knowledge of the signal's frequency components. This can be difficult to obtain in real-world scenarios where there may be noise or interference present. Additionally, the computation involved in the Fourier transform can be time-consuming for large datasets.