Bit of confusion with coils and electromagnetic induction

In summary, for emf to be induced in a coil, the magnetic field must act along the normal to the coil face. This means that the coil moves through the coil face width instead of its length. Additionally, when the coil is completely in the field, the flux linkage does not change and the induced emf is zero. This means that in the diagram, as soon as the coil is fully in between the two magnets, the induced emf stops completely unless the coil rotates and changes the flux through it.
curiousjoe94
Apparently for emf to be induced in a coil, the magnetic field (or part of it) has to act along the normal to the coil face. So does this mean that the coil moves side-ways through the magnetic field? where instead of moving through its length (its longer side), it moves through the coil face width. I've attached a picture below to show what I mean by this.It says in my book as well, that 'When the coil is completely in the field, the flux linkage does not change, so the induced emf is zero. So does this mean that in my diagram below, as soon as the coil has fully in between those two magnets, induced emf stops completely? - even if the coil continues to move up/down within the magnetic field?(by the way, the picture is from a bird's eye view)

Attachments

• Coil movement.jpg
    Coil movement.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 339
Physics news on Phys.org
hi curiousjoe94! :smile:
curiousjoe94 said:
It says in my book as well, that 'When the coil is completely in the field, the flux linkage does not change, so the induced emf is zero. So does this mean that in my diagram below, as soon as the coil has fully in between those two magnets, induced emf stops completely?

if the magnetic field is uniform and constant, yes …

unless the coil rotates, the flux through it cannot change, and the induced emf is zero

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it.

How do coils play a role in electromagnetic induction?

Coils are essential in electromagnetic induction because they are made of conducting material and can be used to create a changing magnetic field. When a varying current is passed through a coil, it generates a magnetic field that can induce an electric current in nearby conductors.

What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it, while electromagnetism is the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging, metal detectors, and electric motors.

What is the relationship between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor, while Lenz's Law states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field. These two laws are interconnected and explain the principles of electromagnetic induction.