How Much Power Does a 35% Efficient 80m Wind Turbine Generate at 30kph?

In summary, the given problem involves a 80m diameter wind turbine rotating at 20rpm under steady wind conditions at an average wind velocity of 30kph. The goal is to determine the power generated, with assumptions of negligible change in potential energy, constant mass, and steady state operation. Using Bernoulli's equation and the acceptance area of the blades, the volume flowing through the turbine per second can be calculated. From this, the maximum power can be determined, taking into account the efficiency of the system.
russde
I have a Thermo I problem:
Given: 80m diameter wind turbine rotating at 20rpm under steady wind conditions at an average wind velocity of 30kph. The eff of the system is 35%.

Need: Power generated

Assumptions (made by me):delta PE ~0; mass=constant; operating at Steady Sate; T~constant

Now, since the eff is = W/Energy and E=delta U +deltaKE +deltaPE this should reduce to:
Eff=W/deltaKE with my assumptions

deltaKE=1/2 m (V2^2 - V1^2)
I know that V2 should be larger than V1 and p2 should be less than p1 but this is where I get stuck, finding V2.
With T~constant specific enthalpy is 0, and entropy will also be 0...
right?
How about a hint to get me on the right path?
Thanks,
R

Physics news on Phys.org
This is less about thermodynamics and more about flow.

Bernoulli's equation gives us the Kinetic Energy per unit volume. From the diameter of the blades we can work out the acceptance area and hence the volume flowing through the turbine per second using the wind velocity.

Then the maximum power can be found.

Don't forget the efficieny!

andy

Hello Randy,

To calculate the power generated by a wind turbine, we can use the following formula:

P = 0.5 * ρ * A * v^3 * Cp

Where:
P = power generated (in watts)
ρ = air density (in kg/m^3)
A = swept area of the turbine blades (in m^2)
v = wind velocity (in m/s)
Cp = power coefficient (efficiency of the turbine)

In your given scenario, we have the following values:
ρ = 1.225 kg/m^3 (for standard air density at sea level)
A = π * (80/2)^2 = 5026.55 m^2 (using the diameter of 80m to calculate the swept area)
v = 30 kph = 8.33 m/s (converting from kph to m/s)
Cp = 0.35 (given efficiency of the system)

Plugging in these values, we get:
P = 0.5 * 1.225 * 5026.55 * (8.33)^3 * 0.35 = 1,473,985 watts

So, the power generated by the wind turbine in this scenario is approximately 1.47 MW (megawatts). Keep in mind that this is an ideal calculation and the actual power output may vary depending on factors such as wind speed and turbine efficiency.

I hope this helps you on the right path. Good luck with your Thermo I problem!

What is a wind turbine and how does it produce power?

A wind turbine is a device that uses the kinetic energy of the wind to generate electricity. It consists of a tall tower with blades attached to a rotor. When the wind blows, it causes the blades to rotate, which then turns a generator to produce electricity.

How much power can a single wind turbine produce?

The power output of a wind turbine depends on various factors such as the size of the turbine, wind speed, and the efficiency of the turbine. On average, a single wind turbine can produce between 2 to 3 megawatts of electricity, which is enough to power hundreds of homes.

What are the benefits of using wind turbines for power production?

There are several benefits of using wind turbines for power production. Firstly, wind energy is a renewable source of energy, meaning it will never run out. Secondly, it does not produce any greenhouse gases or pollutants, making it a clean energy source. Additionally, wind turbines require minimal maintenance and have a relatively low operational cost.

What are the potential drawbacks of wind turbines?

One potential drawback of wind turbines is their reliance on wind for power generation. If the wind speed is too low or too high, the turbine may not be able to produce enough electricity. Additionally, the installation of wind turbines can also face opposition from local communities due to their visual impact on the landscape.

How does the location of a wind turbine affect its power production?

The location of a wind turbine is crucial for its power production. Wind turbines are most effective in areas with consistent and strong winds, such as coastal regions, high-altitude areas, or open plains. Installing a wind turbine in a location with low wind speeds can significantly decrease its power output.