Could a Rh- Mother and Father Create a Rh+ Baby With a Rh+ Surrogate Mother?

• Thread starter cobby174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Negative
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of a Rhesus Negative (Rh-) mother carrying a Rhesus Positive (Rh+) baby and vice versa. It is noted that Rh+ is dominant and a Rh+ mother and Rh- father would result in a Rh+ baby. The possibility of using IVF and a surrogate mother to create a Rh- embryo is also considered.
cobby174
So there I was thinking, if the mother was Rhesus Negative and she had a Rhesus positive baby, her antibodies would cross the placenta and attack the Rhesus positive baby's red blood cells (assuming second child).

Then I thought, well, what if the mother was Rhesus positive, and the baby was Rhesus negative?

Well...firstly, Rhesus positive (Rh+) is dominant, yes? It causes the expression of the important "D" antigen on the surface of RBC. Therefore, a Rhesus positive mother and a Rhesus negative father would give a Rhesus positive baby. Therefore, we can conclude that the mother can never be Rhesus positive while the foetus/(baby) was Rhesus negative or at least...this scenario is unlikely?!

But wait...

What if, we took a Rh- mother's egg, and a Rh- father's sperm, fertilised it and through IVF placed it in a Rh+ SURROGATE mother? What effects would occur?!

Would nothing occur because the foetus does not produce antibodies at all?

- Cobby

P.S. Yes I just wanted to let you know I went through the thought process...took a while to get to the question :)

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Nope..no additional information...that's ok thanks for asking! I'm going to ask some university lecturers too so if I get the answer I'll let ye all know :)

1. What is the Rhesus Negative Conundrum?

The Rhesus Negative Conundrum, also known as the Rh Negative Factor, is a blood type that lacks the Rhesus (Rh) factor protein on the surface of red blood cells. It is a relatively rare blood type, with only about 15% of the population having it.

2. What are the implications of being Rh negative?

If a person with Rh negative blood comes into contact with Rh positive blood, their immune system may produce antibodies to attack the foreign protein. This can be a problem during pregnancy if the mother is Rh negative and the baby is Rh positive, as the mother's antibodies may harm the baby's red blood cells. This is known as Rh incompatibility.

3. What are the theories behind the origin of Rh negative blood?

There are several theories, but one popular idea is that Rh negative blood may have originated from an ancient extraterrestrial source. Some believe that people with Rh negative blood have a special connection to aliens or possess unique psychic abilities. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.

4. Can two Rh negative parents have a Rh positive child?

Yes, it is possible for two Rh negative parents to have a Rh positive child. This occurs when both parents carry a recessive gene for Rh positive blood, which can be passed on to their child.

5. Is there a health advantage or disadvantage to having Rh negative blood?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that having Rh negative blood has any significant health advantages or disadvantages compared to other blood types. However, individuals with Rh negative blood may face challenges during pregnancy if they are Rh negative and their partner is Rh positive.