Exploring Carbon Fiber Products: Resin & Epoxy Questions

In summary, using a resin that is easy to work with and has good coverage of the fibers is important for a good surface finish.
Shawnzyoo
I am starting to learn how to make carbon fiber products
i am not sure about what type of resin/epoxy? to use
does the resin/epoxy give it that nice exterior? or is something else needed?

any suggestions in general would be much appreciated

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The quality of the surface finish is as dependent on the type of matrix used as the manufacturing process chosen, and the quality of the moulds/dies. Depending on your manufacturing process, you might choose to coat the product (once formed) with another layer of resin, or paint, in order to get a nice smooth surface.

is there a specific resin i should use to adhere the fiber?
would just regular 2 ton epoxy work?

I don't know what "regular 2 ton epoxy" is, but the choice of matrix will depend on your application (epoxy resins being very common).

Shawnzyoo said:
Jeffco R504 resin and 3223 cure.

Regards

Shawnzyoo said:
would just regular 2 ton epoxy work?

The resin should be easy to work with - the 2 ton stuff in the little tubes is going to be expensive per ounce and is going to not 'wet out' the fibers as easily as some others. If you don't have good coverage of the fibers then the strength will be diminished greatly because they are not held together well.

Here is a good inexpensive resin, note the different working times and mix ratios. Below their 635 laminating resin they have some West systems resins as well.
http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

A different selection at slightly higher prices (and with more accessories) is here:
http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Epoxy+Resins-5.html

If your stuff will be exposed to sunlight you'll want to either paint it with an opaque paint or a UV protectant clear paint, or choose a resin designed to resist UV light like System3's SB112:
http://www.systemthree.com/p_sb_112.asp

If you register with them you can get their Epoxy book, its 51 pages of all kinds of interesting facts about laying up fiber reinforced composities and other stuff related to boating that's easy to skim over. They discuss common mistakes and offer some good advice on tips to make parts of the process easier. Highly recommended.

If you're still not comfortable with the whole process, fibreglast has a set of videos that goes on sale from time to time for around $100 that has some good info in it as well, and shows a couple real life projects like a carbon fiber shell/unibody frame for a high-mileage car entered in a college competition or a trunk made for the back of a hot rod.

1. How are carbon fiber products made?

Carbon fiber products are made by weaving together thousands of thin strands of carbon fiber, which are then coated in resin or epoxy and cured using heat or pressure. This process creates a strong and lightweight material that is used in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction.

2. What is the difference between resin and epoxy?

Resin and epoxy are both types of polymers that are used to coat carbon fiber products. The main difference between them is their chemical composition and curing process. Resin is a liquid that hardens when exposed to air, while epoxy is a two-part mixture that requires a catalyst to cure. Epoxy is generally stronger and more durable than resin, but it is also more expensive.

3. How do I choose the right resin or epoxy for my carbon fiber project?

The right resin or epoxy for your carbon fiber project will depend on several factors, such as the desired strength, flexibility, and curing time. It is important to research and compare different products, read reviews, and consult with experts to determine the best option for your specific project needs.

4. Can I use any resin or epoxy with carbon fiber?

No, not all resins and epoxies are compatible with carbon fiber. It is important to choose a product that is specifically designed for use with carbon fiber, as these will have the proper chemical properties and curing process to ensure a strong bond. Using the wrong type of resin or epoxy can result in a weak and brittle product.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with resin and epoxy?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with resin and epoxy, as they can be toxic if inhaled or come in contact with skin. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and a mask, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the manufacturer's instructions for proper handling and disposal.