Bond Angle, Can Someone Tell Me if I'm Correct?

In summary: Thanks I appreciate it :smile:count the number of double bonds, single bonds and lone pairs. In this case, there are a total of 3 of all of these combined. This, the electronic structure will be in a trigonal planar form, so they are 120 degrees apart. Your molecule will have 2 bonds, making it a bent molecule with 120 degree bond angles.
amcavoy
I am to find the angle OSeO in the molecule SeO2. After drawing the Lewis Structure and such, I am saying 180o. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
apmcavoy said:
I am to find the angle OSeO in the molecule SeO2. After drawing the Lewis Structure and such, I am saying 180o. Is this correct?

well sp3 hybridized = 109.5 degrees, sp2 hybridized (double bonds) = 120 degrees, and sp hybridized (triple bonds)= 180 degrees.

wr1015 said:
well sp3 hybridized = 109.5 degrees, sp2 hybridized (double bonds) = 120 degrees, and sp hybridized (triple bonds)= 180 degrees.

I have one double bond and one single bond. That is my problem. If they aren't the same, how can I determine this?

apmcavoy said:
I have one double bond and one single bond. That is my problem. If they aren't the same, how can I determine this?

in the molecule selenium dioxide, there should be 2 double bonds which form a linear molecule (180 degrees). you can go to chemfinder.com search selenium dioxide and it will show you an image of the molecule.

Last edited:
wr1015 said:
in the molecule selenium dioxide, there should be 2 double bonds which form a linear molecule (180 degrees). you can go to chemfinder.com search selenium dioxide and it will show you an image of the molecule.

I went there and they said the same thing you did. However, when you write it with two double bonds there is no way for it to obey the octet rule when you write the Lewis Structure. I can get it with a double and a single, but not two doubles. Why is this?

Edit: Alright, let's forget the octet rule (I guess that's not important). When I write it with two double bonds I'm going to say a 120o angle, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:
I went there and they said the same thing you did. However, when you write it with two double bonds there is no way for it to obey the octet rule when you write the Lewis Structure. I can get it with a double and a single, but not two doubles. Why is this?

Edit: Alright, let's forget the octet rule (I guess that's not important). When I write it with two double bonds I'm going to say a 120o angle, right?

Thanks.

well by following the rules of bond hybridization i would say yes 120o

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate it :smile:

count the number of double bonds, single bonds and lone pairs. In this case, there are a total of 3 of all of these combined. This, the electronic structure will be in a trigonal planar form, so they are 120 degrees apart. Your molecule will have 2 bonds, making it a bent molecule with 120 degree bond angles.

1. What is a bond angle?

A bond angle is the angle formed between two chemical bonds in a molecule. It is measured in degrees and can provide information about the shape and structure of a molecule.

2. How is bond angle determined?

Bond angle is determined by the arrangement of atoms and the number of electron pairs around a central atom in a molecule. The repulsion between these electron pairs determines the bond angle.

3. What is the ideal bond angle?

The ideal bond angle is the angle that minimizes the repulsion between electron pairs, resulting in the most stable molecule. This angle varies depending on the number of electron pairs and the type of bonding in a molecule.

4. Can bond angle affect chemical properties?

Yes, bond angle can affect the chemical properties of a molecule. For example, a smaller bond angle may result in a more polar bond, making the molecule more reactive. Additionally, bond angle can impact the stability and reactivity of a molecule in certain reactions.

5. Can bond angle be changed?

Bond angle can be changed by altering the arrangement of atoms or the number of electron pairs around a central atom. This can be achieved through chemical reactions or by changing the physical conditions, such as temperature or pressure, of the molecule.