Fort Clatsop replica destroyed by fire: Who would commit such a heinous act?

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, Fort Clatsop, a replica of Lewis and Clark's wintering site, has been burned down, possibly by arson. The Governor was deeply affected and many people had personal connections to the site. Despite the tragedy, there are plans to rebuild.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY%5Bnews%5D=ID&ID%5Bnews%5D=4797

Fort Clatsop, a replica of where Lewis and Clark wintered after reaching the Pacifc Ocean has been burned down, possibly an act of arson.

I've been there few a few times myself. (I was even there to greet the two marine officers who retraced their route back in the "70's) I also knew someone who worked on the building of this replica.

Physics news on Phys.org
Really, really sad if it was arson. The world is full of sick people.

The Governer was just about in tears. Apparently this had tremendous personal significance to a lot of people.

At least they're planning to rebuild. Terrible that someone would be so sick as to destroy something like that.

1. What caused Fort Clatsop to burn down?

The fire at Fort Clatsop was caused by a chimney spark that ignited the cedar shake roof. This was a common occurrence in the damp climate of the Pacific Northwest.

2. When did Fort Clatsop burn down?

Fort Clatsop burned down on December 8, 1811, just a few months before the Corps of Discovery was scheduled to depart on their return journey to St. Louis.

3. Were there any casualties in the fire at Fort Clatsop?

No, there were no casualties in the fire at Fort Clatsop. The Corps of Discovery had already left the fort to spend the winter with the Clatsop and Chinook Native American tribes.

4. How long did it take for Fort Clatsop to be rebuilt after the fire?

It took about a week for the men of the Corps of Discovery to rebuild Fort Clatsop after the fire. They used salvaged materials from the burned fort to construct a new one.

5. Is Fort Clatsop still standing today?

The original Fort Clatsop is no longer standing, but a replica was built in the 1950s and is now a National Park and popular tourist destination.

Back