Trig Product: Simplifying sina+sinb+sin(a+b) as a Product

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write the expression sin(a+b) as a product. The participants suggest using trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, specifically factoring out sin((a+b)/2) and using the double angle formula for sine to rewrite sin(a+b). Ultimately, the final product is 2cos(a/2)cos(b/2)sin((a+b)/2).
tatoo5ma
Hello,
I have to write [tex] {\it sina}+{\it sinb}+\sin \left( a+b \right) [/tex] as a product.
Here is what I began with, then I got stuck...
[tex] 2\,\sin \left( (a+b)/2 \right) \cos \left( (a-b)/2 \right) +{\it sina}\,{\it cosb}+{\it cosa}\,{\it sinb} [/tex]

Anyone please can help me out, that would be great, thank you! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
tatoo5ma, Instead of expanding sin(a+b), what else can you do? If you write it as a trignometric function of (a+b)/2 can you see what happens?

Last edited:
sure

Sin (a+b) = Sin (2(a+b)/2) = 2 cos((a+b)/2)Sin((a+b)/2)

yeah, then u can factor with Sin((a+b)/2) and then make cos((a-b)/2)+cos((a+b)/2) equal to 2cos(a/2)cos(b/2) and u have everythin factorized :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a trig product?

A trig product is a mathematical expression that is the result of multiplying two or more trigonometric functions together, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I write a trig product?

To write a trig product, you simply need to multiply the trigonometric functions together using the appropriate mathematical operations. Remember to follow the order of operations and simplify the product if possible.

3. What are some common examples of trig products?

Some common examples of trig products include sin(x)cos(x), tan(x)csc(x), and sec(x)cot(x). These products can also involve multiple trigonometric functions, such as sin(x)cos(x)tan(x).

4. How do I simplify a trig product?

To simplify a trig product, you can use trigonometric identities and properties to rewrite the expressions in a simpler form. You can also use the unit circle and reference angles to help with simplification.

5. What are some tips for writing a trig product correctly?

When writing a trig product, it is important to remember the basic trigonometric identities and properties. It is also helpful to visualize the unit circle and reference angles to ensure accurate calculations. Additionally, always check your work for errors and simplify the final expression if possible.