How to Calculate Energy Released in Nuclear Fusion

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy released by nuclear fusion and using the equation ( Σ mass (reactants) - Σ mass (products) ) x 931.5 MeV/amu = Binding energy. The speaker was trying to fuse a tritium and a deuterium atom together and expected a value of 17.58 MeV, but got 18.1 MeV instead. It was later discovered that the value used for tritium was the atomic mass instead of the mass of the nuclei, which accounts for the discrepancy.
frazzle96
Hi,

I'm doing some coursework on nuclear fusion, and am trying to calculate the energy released by fusing a tritium and a deuterium atom together. I used the equation:

( Σ mass (reactants) - Σ mass (products) ) x 931.5 MeV/amu = Binding energy.

and Deuterium + Tritium = Helium + neutron

I know the value should be about 17.58 MeV, however when I did it it came out as about 18.1.

The values I used are Triton: 3.0160492u , Deuteron: 2.0135532u , Helium nucleus: 4.0015061u and a neutron: 1.0086649u.

Thanks in advance

Frazer

Physics news on Phys.org
You're off by about 0.5 MeV, which is the mass of an electron. Are the values you quoted the mass of the atoms or the nuclei?

Likes 1 person
ah, I think the value I used for tritium was the atomic mass rather than the mass of the nuclei... thanks very much!

1. What is fusion and how does it produce energy?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This energy is produced by the conversion of mass into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc².

2. How is the amount of energy released in fusion calculated?

The amount of energy released in fusion is calculated using the famous equation E=mc², where E is the energy released, m is the mass lost during the reaction, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. This equation allows us to calculate the energy released by converting the mass lost during fusion into energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy produced in fusion?

The amount of energy produced in fusion is affected by several factors, including the mass of the nuclei involved, the temperature and density of the reacting particles, and the type of reaction taking place. Additionally, the efficiency of the fusion process and any energy losses during the reaction can also impact the amount of energy produced.

4. How is the energy from fusion harnessed for practical use?

The energy released from fusion can be harnessed for practical use through the use of a fusion reactor. In a fusion reactor, the energy released from the fusion reaction is used to heat and sustain a plasma, which can then be used to generate electricity through various methods such as steam turbines.

5. What are the potential benefits and challenges of harnessing fusion energy?

The potential benefits of harnessing fusion energy include a nearly limitless and clean source of energy, as well as the production of minimal radioactive waste. However, the challenges include the difficulty and complexity of containing and controlling the fusion reaction, as well as the high cost of building and maintaining a fusion reactor.