Using RF Transmitter/Receiver to power LEDs from a Sensor?

by SeanLynch91
Tags: led light, leds, power, radio frequency, receiver, sensor, transmitter
SeanLynch91
Feb4-14, 11:34 AM
P: 2
I have a pressure sensor that gives off 4 volts when actuated and I would like to transmit it a distance to an LED light. So I found these RF Link Transmitter/Receiver at 434MHz:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10532

The data sheets and instructions Iíve read all suggest a microcontroller. What Iím asking is this:
For the transmitter side of my project (sensor that gives off 4V), could I use something other than a microcontroller to convert the 4V to send through the transmitter?

I do have an Arduino Yun that I could use for the receiver side, but lets say I didnít have an Arduino, what would I be able to use to convert the data from the receiver?

I donít have much experience with wireless transmission and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A smart prosthetic knee with in-vivo diagnoses
Old tires become material for new and improved roads
Students take clot-buster for a spin
thankz
Feb4-14, 11:41 AM
P: 24
you could use a uart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...er/transmitter
sophiecentaur
Feb4-14, 03:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,383
Can we get this straight? Are you wanting to send a signal to a receiver that will turn on the LEDs or are you wanting to transmit the Power across a gap to provide the power to light them? It makes a vast difference and you use the word 'Power' in the title so we need to be sure what you want to do.

SeanLynch91
Feb4-14, 03:45 PM
P: 2

Using RF Transmitter/Receiver to power LEDs from a Sensor?

Sorry about the confusion. Here's the plan: I want to be able to light an LED when an object is on the sensor. The sensor gives off 4 volts when it is triggered then I would feed that into the transmitter, transmit that signal to the receiver so whenever that sensor is actuated an LED will light up. So I'm trying to send a signal to the receiver that will turn on an LED.
sophiecentaur
Feb4-14, 04:01 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,383
For simple signalling, those devices should work, at a basic level. I managed to look at the transmitter data sheet but the site was busy or down and I couldn't see the receiver spec.
As far as I can see, the transmitter is Amplitude Shift Keyed (i.e. On/Off signalling) which you can do with 0 or 5V from your sensor. Likewise for the receiver should give 0 or 5V, depending on the received signal level. At the price, they would be worth just buying and trying. I don't think the processor is a necessary for just a simple one channel on/off control. (Using the 'digital' output).

Register to reply