Calculating driving force from wheel rpm, wheel radius and engine power

In summary, the equation used to calculate the engine force in a car is: P=30*Tw/(rpm*r*pi). This equation assumes that there is no friction or drag, and that the car is at a standstill. It seems that the equation may not be accurate, as it underestimates the acceleration of a car.
paul_harris77
I have spent a while trying to work out a simple equation to give me the driving force of the engine in a car using the inputs: Power, wheel radius and rpm but when I put in real numbers from a production car, I get low values of 2197N. The equation I have derived is:

Driving force = 30*P/(rpm*r*pi) where P is the power of the engine in Watts, rpm is the rpm of the wheel after it is geared down, and r is the radius of the wheel.

Assuming there are no passengers or even a driver and the effects of friction and drag etc. are neglected, by my calculation of the maximum acceleration in first gear, given a car mass of 1420kg, is 1.5ms-2 which seems to me to be too low even for a slow car.

To derive the equation I just used, the equations P=Tw, Torque= Force*wheel radius and w = (rpm*pi)/30, where w is the angular velocity, T torque and P power.

Can anyone verify if this equation is right and whether I have done something wrong?

Many thanks

Regards

Paul Harris

Engineering news on Phys.org
The derivation is... different i'll give you that.

A tip for deriving this sort of stuff, start from where the power and torque are made (ie the engine). Then trace it along to the wheels. It's not working becucase you are putting in wrong values into an equation that won't acutally give you what you want. Where did you get the values you are sticking into that equation?

You don't even need power to calcualte the triving force, its all done with torque.

Torque*gear ratios = wheel torque.
Then WT= F* radius.

Convert power to torque at the start if you don't have a torque figure.If you are using power to determine acceleration, and therefore force you need a velocity.

Last edited:
Hi Paul Harris-

First, the relation between force F and acceleration a is:

F = ma

Force times displacement dx is work (joules)

Force times work per unit time dx/dt is power (watts)

But dx/dt = velocity v

So P = Fv = mav (Newton-meters per second) = watts

You are already aware that it is easier to accelerate from zero to 10 mph than from 70 mph to 80 mph. The velocity v in this equation is why.

Now, write power as torque T (Newtons) times angular velocity w (radians per second) where RPM is wheel RPM.

P = 2 pi T RPM/60

P = 2 pi T RPM/60 = mav.

That's it. The wheel RPM is directly proportional to velocity, so once you know torque, mass and velocity, you can calculate acceleration. Note all units except RPM are metric.

Bob S

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys.

I suppose I should have stated that I need to eliminate torque from the equation. This is because the force needs to be calculated from a Power vs. engine rpm curve. I have no direct information on the engine torque so it needs to be calculated from the power (P=Tw).

Converting engine rpm to wheel rpm is simple enough (multiplying by the gear ratio). Acceleration does not really need to be calculated, it was just to check if my equation for force was producing sensible answers.

I canceled the 2/60 part of the equation to give 1/30 and eliminated T by using T=Fr. Is this right and does then then mean that my equation is in fact technically correct and producing correct answers? Doesn't 1.5ms-2 for a car's maximum acceleration seem a bit slow to anyone? The data I used was a max power of 124kW at 5900rpm (engine rpm) and a 1st gear ratio of 2.92:1 producing a wheel rpm of 2021rpm and according to my equation, 2197N of driving force. The wheel radius is 0.2667m.

Thanks again

Paul H

1. How do I calculate the driving force from wheel rpm, wheel radius, and engine power?

To calculate the driving force, you can use the formula: driving force = (engine power * wheel radius * 2 * pi * wheel rpm) / 60. This formula takes into account the engine power, wheel radius, and wheel rpm to determine the force that is being applied to the wheels.

2. What are the units for the driving force calculation?

The units for the driving force calculation will depend on the units used for the other variables. The engine power is typically measured in horsepower (hp), the wheel radius is measured in meters (m), and the wheel rpm is measured in revolutions per minute (rpm). Therefore, the units for the driving force will be (hp * m * pi * rpm) / (min * 60).

3. Can I use this calculation for any type of vehicle?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of vehicle as long as you have the necessary information for the variables. It is commonly used for cars, but can also be applied to motorcycles, bicycles, and other wheeled vehicles.

4. What is the significance of calculating the driving force?

The driving force calculation is important because it helps determine the amount of power needed to move a vehicle. It can also be used to compare the performance of different vehicles, as a higher driving force indicates a more powerful and efficient vehicle.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation?

While this calculation can provide a good estimate of the driving force, it may not take into account other factors such as friction, air resistance, and road conditions. These factors can affect the actual driving force experienced by a vehicle. Additionally, this calculation assumes a constant speed and does not account for accelerating or decelerating vehicles.