Proof: show that negation of converse is true?

• Thread starter bentley4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the negation of the converse of an implication does not imply the implication to be true.
bentley4
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about logic and proofs and I concluded that "proving the negation of the converse of an implication to be true" proves "the implication to be true". But strangely I can't find any information about this proof method, so I doubt if I am correct.

Just to be clear, here is an example:
Implication: "I am human" implies that "I am an animal".
Negation of the converse: "I am an animal" does not imply that "I am human".

So, is my reasoning flawed here?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bentley4! :smile:
bentley4 said:
Implication: "I am human" implies that "I am an animal".
Negation of the converse: "I am an animal" does not imply that "I am human".

But "I am not an animal" implies that "I am not human".

I don't follow the rest of what you're saying. :confused:

By negative of converse I think you mean the contrapositive:

P implies Q

Is equivalent to:

not Q implies not P

You can use truth tables to prove it.

See Wikipedia search on: p implies q

Dear jedishrfu,

Nope. I know that when the contrapositive is true, the implication must be true as well. But this is not what I am asking. Thnx for the response though.

tiny-tim said:
hi bentley4! :smile:But "I am not an animal" implies that "I am not human".

I don't follow the rest of what you're saying. :confused:

Hey Tiny-tim : ),

You are just saying that if the implication is true, than the contrapositive must be true. I know, but my question is just if the negation of the converse must also be true if the implication is true.

Using the example:
(1) Implication: "I am human" implies that "I am an animal". (True)
(2) Negation (of the implication): "I am human" does not imply that "I am an animal". (False)
(3) Converse: "I am an animal" implies that "I am human". (False)
(4) Negation of the converse: "I am an animal" does not imply that "I am human". (True)
(5) Contrapositive: "I am not an animal" implies that "I am not human". (True)

So what I am saying is that if (1) or (5) is true, (4) must also be true.
Can anyone prove that the negation of the converse is false if the implication is true?

bentley4 said:
Hey Tiny-tim : ),

You are just saying that if the implication is true, than the contrapositive must be true. I know, but my question is just if the negation of the converse must also be true if the implication is true.

Using the example:
(1) Implication: "I am human" implies that "I am an animal". (True)
(2) Negation (of the implication): "I am human" does not imply that "I am an animal". (False)
(3) Converse: "I am an animal" implies that "I am human". (False)
(4) Negation of the converse: "I am an animal" does not imply that "I am human". (True)
(5) Contrapositive: "I am not an animal" implies that "I am not human". (True)

So what I am saying is that if (1) or (5) is true, (4) must also be true.
Can anyone prove that the negation of the converse is false if the implication is true?

Consider A => A. That's true.

The converse is A => A.

The negation of the converse is not(A => A). That's false.

bentley4 said:
Dear jedishrfu,

Nope. I know that when the contrapositive is true, the implication must be true as well. But this is not what I am asking. Thnx for the response though.

But you can still prove/disprove your assertion via truth tables and then you have an answer to your question.

P___q__ p->q___ q->p___ ~(q->p)___ ~q____~p____~q->~p

t___t____t_______t_______f_______f_____f_______t
t___f____f_______t_______f_______t_____f_______f
f___t____t_______f_______t_______f_____t_______t
f___f____t_______t_______f_______t_____t_______t

((sorry can't get formatting right web form keeps changing uppercase to lower case))

Last edited:

1. What is the negation of a converse statement?

The negation of a converse statement is the statement that results from switching the hypothesis and conclusion of the original statement and then adding a negation symbol (~) in front of the entire statement. For example, the negation of the converse statement "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" would be "If the ground is not wet, then it is not raining."

2. How do you show that the negation of a converse statement is true?

To show that the negation of a converse statement is true, you can use a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that the negation of the converse statement is false and then using logical reasoning and evidence to arrive at a contradiction, thus proving that the negation of the converse statement must be true.

3. Can you provide an example of proving the negation of a converse statement?

Yes, for the converse statement "If all birds can fly, then all penguins can fly," the negation would be "If all penguins cannot fly, then all birds cannot fly." To prove this, we can use the fact that penguins are a type of bird that cannot fly, and therefore, the original converse statement is false. This leads to a contradiction, proving that the negation of the converse statement must be true.

4. Why is proving the negation of a converse statement important?

Proving the negation of a converse statement is important because it helps to clarify the truth value of a statement. It allows us to determine if a statement is true or false, and if it is false, it helps us to understand why it is false. This is essential in the field of science, where accuracy and logical reasoning are crucial.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the negation of a converse statement?

Yes, another method for proving the negation of a converse statement is by using a truth table. This involves creating a table that lists all possible combinations of truth values for the original statement and its negation. By comparing the two columns, we can determine if the negation of the converse statement is true or false.