As for the three body problem (the formula used, and the related areas)

In summary, the conversation discusses which formula is used for Newton's Gravitation Law in the three body or n body problem. Formula (1) and (2) are proposed, but it is mentioned that (2) is missing a unit vector and both formulas are essentially the same. The conversation also touches on the trend in defining this formula and mentions the use of analytical and algebraic methods. The concept of symmetries is mentioned, and there is a question about related mathematical areas.
julypraise
Could you let me know which formula is Newton's Gravitation Law used for the three body or n body problem in general?

Suppose there are [itex]n[/itex] objects with the masses [itex]m_{j}[/itex], [itex]j=1,2,3,\dots,n[/itex] and the displacement functions [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with initial conditions of [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}(0),\dot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}(0)[/itex]. Then is the formula

(1) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}(\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j})}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{3}}[/itex]

used, or

(2) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{2}}[/itex]

used?

If the trend is to use (1), then why is it? And what is the trend in defining the formula of Newton's Gravitation Law when [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex]?

And is there any textbook (kind graduate or undergraudate textbook level) that teaches this area not by analytical method but by algebraic method, especially focusing on the concept of symmetries? Or should I just find papers to study this area in such a view?

And could you let me know the (mathematical) areas (specifically the names of the areas) that are closely related to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
(2) is limited to one-dimensional cases and for [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex] there is no force

julypraise said:
Could you let me know which formula is Newton's Gravitation Law used for the three body or n body problem in general?

Suppose there are [itex]n[/itex] objects with the masses [itex]m_{j}[/itex], [itex]j=1,2,3,\dots,n[/itex] and the displacement functions [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with initial conditions of [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}(0),\dot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}(0)[/itex]. Then is the formula

(1) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}(\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j})}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{3}}[/itex]

used, or

(2) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{2}}[/itex]

used?

If the trend is to use (1), then why is it? And what is the trend in defining the formula of Newton's Gravitation Law when [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex]?

And is there any textbook (kind graduate or undergraudate textbook level) that teaches this area not by analytical method but by algebraic method, especially focusing on the concept of symmetries? Or should I just find papers to study this area in such a view?

And could you let me know the (mathematical) areas (specifically the names of the areas) that are closely related to this problem?

in formula 2, something is missing ( a unit vector along xi-xj) because the summation must be a vector. If you correct it, both formulae become the same becaues the unit vector = (xi-xj)/|xi-xj|

1. What is the three body problem and what formula is used to solve it?

The three body problem is a classic problem in Newtonian physics that involves predicting the motion of three objects in space under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. The formula used to solve this problem is known as the gravitational force equation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are some related areas of study to the three body problem?

The three body problem has many applications in various fields of study, including celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and astronomy. It is also closely related to the study of chaotic systems, as even small changes in initial conditions can result in drastically different outcomes for the three body system.

3. Is the three body problem a solved or unsolved problem in physics?

The three body problem is considered an unsolved problem in physics, as there is no general analytical solution that can accurately predict the motion of three objects under the influence of gravity. However, there are numerical methods and approximations that can provide solutions for specific scenarios.

4. What are some real-life examples of the three body problem?

One famous example of the three body problem is the Earth-Moon-Sun system, where the gravitational interaction between these three bodies affects the tides on Earth. Another example is the Jupiter-Europa-Io system, where the gravitational pull of Jupiter on its two moons causes them to have irregular orbits.

5. How does the three body problem relate to the stability of planetary systems?

The three body problem plays a crucial role in understanding the stability of planetary systems. It helps predict the long-term behavior of planets in a solar system and how their orbits may change over time due to gravitational interactions with other planets or celestial bodies. This information is essential for studying the formation and evolution of planetary systems.