Advice on a good Mathematical Methods for Physicists Book?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a good book on "Mathematical Methods for Physicists." The original poster has found Tai Chow's book helpful, but wants suggestions for better reference guides. One person recommends Boas' book, "A course in modern mathematical physics: groups, hilbert space, and differential geometry," which they have borrowed from the library and plan to buy. Another person mentions owning Boas' book, but explains that it may not be what the original poster is looking for.
mateomy
Advice on a good "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" Book?

Hope this is the right area to be posting it in.

I've checked out Tai Chow's book with the same title from my school library. There was a pretty brutal Amazon review on it, but overall I find it helpful. Does anyone have suggestions on better reference guides?

Physics news on Phys.org

I am not familiar Tai Chow's book but based on the table of contents, a better book at around the same level would be Boas.

I would recommend looking for a textbook that covers a broad range of mathematical methods specifically tailored for physicists. Some recommendations include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence. These books have been widely used and highly praised by students and professionals in the field. It's important to find a book that not only covers the necessary mathematical concepts, but also provides clear and concise explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems. Don't be discouraged by one negative review, but do your own research and choose a book that best fits your learning style and needs.

1. What topics should I expect to find in a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book?

A Mathematical Methods for Physicists book should cover topics such as vector calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and Fourier analysis. It may also include topics like group theory, tensor analysis, and special functions.

2. Is prior knowledge of mathematics necessary to understand a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book?

Yes, a basic understanding of mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to understand a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book. Some familiarity with physics concepts may also be helpful.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for Mathematical Methods for Physicists?

Some popular textbooks for Mathematical Methods for Physicists are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence.

4. How can I use a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book to improve my problem-solving skills?

A Mathematical Methods for Physicists book typically includes a variety of practice problems and examples that can help improve problem-solving skills. It is important to actively work through the problems and understand the reasoning behind each step.

5. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can accompany a Mathematical Methods for Physicists book?

Yes, many publishers offer online resources and supplementary materials for their Mathematical Methods for Physicists books, such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and interactive practice problems. Additionally, there are many online forums and study groups where students can discuss and clarify concepts from the book.