What is the Correct Approach for Solving ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx?

In summary, the integral of x^3*√(x^2-5) dx can be solved by substituting u = x^2-5 and using algebraic manipulations to rewrite the integrand as 1/2*∫(u+5)*√u du. The final solution should be x^3/3*(u^(3/2))-2/15*(u^(5/2))+c, using the fact that u^(5/2)=u*u^(3/2).
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx

Homework Equations

∫u.dv=u.v-∫du.v

The Attempt at a Solution

So i tried to change the integral to ∫x*x^2*√(x^2-5)dx and u = x^2-5, then du = 2x, so 1/2*∫x^2*√(x^2-5) . Let u = √(x^2-5) , du = x/√(x^2-5) and dv = x^2 , v = x^3/3. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

ruiwp13 said:

Homework Statement

∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx

Homework Equations

∫u.dv=u.v-∫du.v

The Attempt at a Solution

So i tried to change the integral to ∫x*x^2*√(x^2-5)dx and u = x^2-5, then du = 2x, so 1/2*∫x^2*√(x^2-5) . Let u = √(x^2-5) , du = x/√(x^2-5) and dv = x^2 , v = x^3/3. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

You don't need parts. Your first substitution is the one to use, u = x^2-5. Notice that means x^2=5+u.

Dick said:
You don't need parts. Your first substitution is the one to use, u = x^2-5. Notice that means x^2=5+u.

I did that, u=x^2-5, du= 2xdx, x^2=u+5 and I got :

1/2*∫(u+5)*√udu

so I multiplied and I got : 1/2*∫u^(3/2)+5u^(1/2)

1/2*1/5 * ∫u^(3/2)+u^(1/2)

and I got u^(5/2)/25+(2u^(3/2))/3 and It's wrong :/ where did I failed?

Thanks

ruiwp13 said:
so I multiplied and I got : 1/2*∫u^(3/2)+5u^(1/2)

1/2*1/5 * ∫u^(3/2)+u^(1/2)

Just sloppy algebra, I think. Where did the '1/5' come from?

Dick said:
Just sloppy algebra, I think. Where did the '1/5' come from?

To remove the 5 from 5u^(1/2)

The solution is supposed to be:

x^3/3*(u^(3/2))-2/15*(u^(5/2))+c

ruiwp13 said:
To remove the 5 from 5u^(1/2)

The solution is supposed to be:

x^3/3*(u^(3/2))-2/15*(u^(5/2))+c

'Remove the 5'?? I don't get it. And the given solution looks wrong as well.

Dick said:
Wolfram is using u^(5/2)=u*u^(3/2) and pulling out the common factor of u^(3/2).

So where is my mistake?

ruiwp13 said:
So where is my mistake?

Start with 'removing the 5'. You can write u^(3/2)+5u^(1/2)=5*((1/5)*u^(3/2)+u^(1/2)). That's not (1/5)*(u^(3/2)+u^(1/2)), if that's what you meant. It's hard to tell how you are grouping things. Use more parentheses to make things clearer.

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx?

The purpose of finding the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx is to determine the area under the curve of the function and to evaluate the function for different values of x.

2. How do you solve for the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx?

The integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx can be solved using the substitution method or integration by parts. It involves breaking down the function into simpler forms and applying integration rules to evaluate the integral.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving for the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving for the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx include incorrect use of integration rules, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and making errors in the substitution or integration by parts process.

4. Is there a specific domain or range of values for which the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx is defined?

Yes, the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx is only defined for values of x that make the function continuous and differentiable. This means that the domain of the function is restricted to x values that make the expression inside the square root greater than or equal to 0.

5. How can the integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx be used in real-life applications?

The integral of ∫x^3*√(x^2-5) dx has various real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force, determining the center of mass for a given shape, and evaluating the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity. It is also used in engineering, physics, and economics to solve various problems related to rates of change and optimization.