Could domes have had the function of camera obscura but not anymore?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a dome as a camera obscura and the concept of an oculus, which means "eye" in Latin. The question arises as to why a flat lens would be used in an oculus, rendering it ineffective. The conversation also mentions a book that references the use of a dome as a camera obscura, and one person's personal theory that it may have been the predecessor to the sunroof. However, personal theories are not allowed.
antonio glez
http://vimeo.com/11789304#

e7149ed4a12b2af6dbdb78f764edd524.jpg

3749783849_2aa4cc6f2e.jpg

i mean seems evident a dome is intended as a camera obscura even oculus in latin means eye

but how is it posible that knowledge isn't any more?

what sense does it make to put a flat lens in the oculus so there's no effect any more? why they don't put the right optics oculus in domes?

it would appear to people as walking of clouds , quite appropiate for the place:confused:

well i just found an obscure reference:

http://books.google.es/books?id=F1T...=onepage&q=dome oculus camera obscura&f=false

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a specific reference, a link to a book is not satisfactory.

well this is a personal theory slightly backed up by that book( i can't copy paste)

hmmm... My personal theory is that it was the predecessor to the sunroof.

http://safe4work.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sun-roof.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
antonio glez said:
well this is a personal theory slightly backed up by that book( i can't copy paste)
That's what I thought, sorry, we don't allow personal theories.

1. What is a camera obscura?

A camera obscura is an optical device that uses a small hole or lens to project an inverted image of the outside world onto a surface inside a darkened room. This concept was used in the development of modern photography.

2. How do domes function as a camera obscura?

Domes can function as a camera obscura by having a small hole or aperture at the top or on the sides, allowing light to enter and project an image onto the interior surface of the dome.

3. Why might domes no longer have this function?

As technology has advanced, the use of domes as a camera obscura has become less practical and efficient. Modern cameras and projectors are able to produce higher quality images and do not require a darkened room.

4. Were domes commonly used as camera obscuras in the past?

Yes, domes were commonly used as camera obscuras in the past. They were often used by artists and scientists as a tool for drawing and studying perspective.

5. Are there any existing domes that still function as camera obscuras?

Yes, there are still some existing domes that function as camera obscuras, but they are mainly used for educational and historical purposes rather than practical use in photography.